Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since new, our Dolphin has had very poor grey water plumbing either by design or installation.
Sometimes water will not completely drain even when level to slightly in favor of better drainage.
It often takes too long at dump stations to completely drain grey water. Given enough time the tank will eventually drain completely. Perris factory service has looked at this several times during and after warrantee but system just doesn't want to drain fast. I even had temporarily added a vent at the curb side of the grey tank. This did not seem to help.
Is this a common occurence with the Dolphin body type? Has anyone found a fix for it.

I suspect a pipe hole cutout may be trapped in the tank and randomly blocking the drain as sometimes the tank will drain with a lot more force.

Marty
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since new, our Dolphin has had very poor grey water plumbing either by design or installation.
Sometimes water will not completely drain even when level to slightly in favor of better drainage.
It often takes too long at dump stations to completely drain grey water. Given enough time the tank will eventually drain completely. Perris factory service has looked at this several times during and after warrantee but system just doesn't want to drain fast. I even had temporarily added a vent at the curb side of the grey tank. This did not seem to help.
Is this a common occurence with the Dolphin body type? Has anyone found a fix for it.

I suspect a pipe hole cutout may be trapped in the tank and randomly blocking the drain as sometimes the tank will drain with a lot more force.

Marty
Old 05-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Marty, our '05 gray tank has always drained slower than the black tank, I always attributed it to the smaller size of the plumbing. I would be more concened if it didn't drain.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
I believe even with the smaller pipe diameter it would drain off rather quickly. I think you may have something there Marty with the cut out rolling around in the tank, or anything else those knuckle heads coulda dropped in there! It very well could be blocking yer outlet. The only way I can think to check it short of pulling the tank is, find a plumber or a chimminy repairman that has a closed circuit TV system for pipes. He can slid it up yer grey discharge pipe and have a first hand look into, and around the tank. Sounds goofy, but it works. Good luck.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #5

Pull off the black cover plate in the sewage compartment and notice how shallow the tank is. It's wide, but not deep. Not much pressure from above to force the liquids out.I was going to install an aftermarket tank level sensing unit, but the difference between highest sensor and lowest sensor was only a couple of inches. National does not recommend them for that reason. Per Perris repair facility.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for responses.

Last motor home had same grey water drain pipe size and flowed quite freely. This one doesn't flow very well even from the fullest tank levels.

NRV was willing to add an additional vent thinking that was the problem even after warrantee was over. I refused it since it seemed like too much

major work and too many things to mess up in the process and not enough evidence that was the problem.

Yes, I have had side black panels off and thought about adding some slope to the long flat tank. Too difficult!

I added 2 spray heads near the level sensors similar to those used in the black tank for flushing. These seem to keep the sensors working correctly.

I do have a tiny video camera that could possibly fit in one of those openings. So I may try that "goofy" idea Steve. The thought of a hole cut out now seems to be the only explanation for the observed drainage variations I see. Not sure how I would get it out if there was a cut out in there.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #7

I have a 99 Tropical and it also has a smaller discharge pipe and a slower rate of discharge. I always figured this is the way it was.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a SOB (some-other-brand) that did it too. Sometimes slow but sometimes a lot faster. Just lived with it til I tried to sell it, and then wouldn't ya know - it stopped up almost 100% when i was showing it to a prospective buyer. Made me so mad, I took off all the drain valves, pipes, angles, etc to get to the tanks(s).

Yup, it was the cutout piece that would sometimes float (?) to the opening and lay across the outlet while other times would drift off to the side. Finally fished it out and that solved it. BTW, that buyer never came back

HTH

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M&EM:
Thanks for responses.

Last motor home had same grey water drain pipe size and flowed quite freely. This one doesn't flow very well even from the fullest tank levels.

NRV was willing to add an additional vent thinking that was the problem even after warrantee was over. I refused it since it seemed like too much

major work and too many things to mess up in the process and not enough evidence that was the problem.

Yes, I have had side black panels off and thought about adding some slope to the long flat tank. Too difficult!

I added 2 spray heads near the level sensors similar to those used in the black tank for flushing. These seem to keep the sensors working correctly.

I do have a tiny video camera that could possibly fit in one of those openings. So I may try that "goofy" idea Steve. The thought of a hole cut out now seems to be the only explanation for the observed drainage variations I see. Not sure how I would get it out if there was a cut out in there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

National Dolphin LE 05 / Suzuki4WD
Zebra Gorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
M&EM I have a 2006 Dolphin with the same problem, I am trying to solve the problem on mine. I will post here if I solve it. Good luck to both of us.

2004 Jeep Wrangler
RattlenRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No problems with our 05 Dolphin 5367. Check all the vents under the sinks. Check the vent on the roof. When I bought ours, it didn't even have a vent on the roof. When you say slow, how slow is slow? Ours empties in just a few minutes.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We found the notorious chunk of plywood (cutout) was slowing our black drain...so you've probably got one in your grey.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slow was more then 10 minutes and still pouring out slowly.

Finally cut a 3 inch hole in the grey tank at the vertical end facing the street side.

The tank was clean as a whistle.

The central roof vent was not overly down into the tank and not an issue.
I also worked a plumbers snake up thru the gate valve and main outlet pipe. I could see the snake clearly in the tank. There was no cutouts or anything in there.
Even with water filled up to the newly cut hole, drainage was just slow. Eventually draining complete.

The tank is only 4-5 inches tall and just won't provide more then a lazy flow.

Contrary to what I thought, the tank does have a low point close to the centerline of the coach and about where the drainpipe is connected. So I can't fault the design. The weird shape of the entire tank may have some local vent issues when the tank is absolutely full.

The shape and position of the drain pipe would suggest that elevating front of coach would assist in drainage. I'll try that next time we use it.

Marty
Old 11-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #14

I have the same issue with my grey tank where sometimes it drains fast and others it drains slow. My coach is new as of July 07. Sometimes it will drain to empty and others it will drain slowly and after 10 minutes, it is still draining really slowly. I need to figure out how to look up there and see what is going on. then if something is blocking it, how to fish it out. If I have to fish something out, anyone have any suggestions?
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote