Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
hdtv antenna

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a new HDTV antenna? I currently have a winegard fold up. I would like to get something that is shorter and doesn't need to be cranked up and down. Any Suggestions?
jefkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you looked at this RV Antenna - VHF UHF Winegard Sensar Antennas
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I installed one of the Jack antennas a couple of years ago.
I used the model that stands about 12 inches above the roof.
I was tired of the crankup unit and wanted to get rid of it.
My thinking was and still is, that if I get into trees or something that hooks the antenna, since it is all plastic it will break long before my roof gets damaged where it is attached. $130.00 for a new antenna is much cheaper than fixing a roof!
I made a spacer plate and drilled all the Winegard mounting holes as well as the pattern on the Jack base. Every hole has a screw in it so there are no potential leaks.
So far everything is fine and the antenna has excellent reception and picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	97415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	97416  

MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #4

I purchased the King Jack Digital HGTV Antenna. I removed the 2 square tubing on the " Bat Wing" fold up and attached the HGTV antenna to the shark looking fin at the roof level. No need to crank up the antenna or lower prior to travel. PM me if you need help.
RDAYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefkar View Post
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a new HDTV antenna? I currently have a winegard fold up. I would like to get something that is shorter and doesn't need to be cranked up and down. Any Suggestions?
The best I can recommend is what is on your roof.

You want something shorter: HEIGHT IS MIGHT
The one you have is a VHF/VHF/UHF antenna.
Though adding a WINGMAN (around 30 bucks and you may not need tools (or a simple pair of pliars) to install it) will improve the UHF performance

Adding the SENSAR PRO to replace your wall switch or ahead of your Matrix Switch (Box of many buttons) also improves it BIG TIME.

But the Batwing with Wingman outperforms all the competition, And that is WITHOUT the Sensar Pro.

How important is height? Well there are two answers.. First height above interfernce.. IT is important to get the antenna above other stuff on the roof as things like an Air Conditioner make a much better DOOR than they do windows.

I did a test once (VHF) where I was talking to some folks via a repeater (This was 2-way radio) system, the relay station was around 50 miles away.. I was good copy.. Another Ham tried to join in without success but we got enough of his call to believe I might hear him direct.. I could..

He was running around 40 watts effective radiated power at 30 feet.. I was running closer to 1/4 watt effctive power at 250 feet.I COULD SEE HIS HOUSE from where I was standing we were that close HEIGHT IS MIGHT.

By the way.. What is the difference between a regular TV antenna and an HD TV antenna? PRICE of course. HD costs more.. works exactly the same and in many cases 10 or 15 years ago was sold as a regular TV antenna. But put HD on the box.. and the price goes up.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I and several of my friends have the Jack made by king electronics. I sometimes go to a spot in south carolina that is high on a hill but couldn't get but 3 chanels on my batwing. With the Jack I get 21 chanels.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speed.. You also replaced or reconnected a cable or 3.. And that too makes a difference.

I check my cables often (annually at least) I got 5 stations to my Jack neighbor's 4.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all who commented. I decided on the KING Jack and installed it this weekend. It was easy. However, make sure you have the proper tools to complete the job. I tried to splice the cable wire and put a new connector on it without using the proper tool. The connection was not good and the antenna did not work until I used the proper tool to put the new connector on. The antenna works great and I don't have to worry about lowering it when I drive off.
jefkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I second the suggestion of Mike and Ruth Nilsons
I did the surface mount Jack and the reception of channels in Atlanta, Ga. went from 38 to 77 over the air! Amazing High Def. quality
Ed

HAM Radio Operator - N4EDX
ed mulvaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The one you have is among the best.

The Best is a Winegard Sensar IV (Or a II or III with wingman added)
and a Sensar Pro indoor module

Nothing else can do a better job of bringing in far off stations

Though the JACK is better close in.

Tags
antenna