Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1
Heart Inverter Not Charging Batteries

HI, I just purchased a 2003 National RV Dolphin LX 6355 with a Heart inverter/charger, (4) newer 6v deep cycle batteries. The guy I bought the coach from informed that I didn't turn the inverter on inside the coach at the control panel when I called him to say I no a/c power to any outlets in the coach. I did that and he was right I then had a/c power to all outlets. This worked the same whether I was hooked up to shore power or the generator was running. I was happy to have the outlets working(roof a/c and refrigerator were working without hitting the inverter button) after sleeping through the night I woke up to see the power panel in red and the battery monitor on low battery so I hit the charging button on the panel it came on but soon turned itself off. Tried again same result, does anyone know if this coach is supposed to have the inverter button in the on position all the time to get a/c power to outlets, it seems like that would only be when I'm not plugged in or gen not running. Also through all this there is one plug that is live in the lounge area without the inverter switch on with shore or gen power....Any help as to how I'm supposed to have this inverter switch on my control panel on/off to be powered up? Rob
kingsup1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 24,881
Welcome to iRV2 .

I don't have a large inverter /charger , but this manual should help clear things up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freedom series 1.pdf (2.91 MB, 16 views)
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Thewellz's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 408
The answer is No... your inverter only needs to be on when you are not using shore power or running your generator. The inverter converts 12v to 110v from your batteries only, and should really only be used sparingly, when you don't want to run your generator.If you need to supplement a low amp shore power supply it will do that also. I rarely use mine, mostly just run the generator if I need 110v to the outlets.
__________________
2001 National Tradewinds 7372
Thewellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:17 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 21
Check out my latest thread for more info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsup1956 View Post
HI, I just purchased a 2003 National RV Dolphin LX 6355 with a Heart inverter/charger, (4) newer 6v deep cycle batteries. The guy I bought the coach from informed that I didn't turn the inverter on inside the coach at the control panel when I called him to say I no a/c power to any outlets in the coach. I did that and he was right I then had a/c power to all outlets. This worked the same whether I was hooked up to shore power or the generator was running. I was happy to have the outlets working(roof a/c and refrigerator were working without hitting the inverter button) after sleeping through the night I woke up to see the power panel in red and the battery monitor on low battery so I hit the charging button on the panel it came on but soon turned itself off. Tried again same result, does anyone know if this coach is supposed to have the inverter button in the on position all the time to get a/c power to outlets, it seems like that would only be when I'm not plugged in or gen not running. Also through all this there is one plug that is live in the lounge area without the inverter switch on with shore or gen power....Any help as to how I'm supposed to have this inverter switch on my control panel on/off to be powered up? Rob
Check out my latest post and threads this week about a nearly identical problem.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/tra...em-554337.html
I had a Heart 458 20D inverter in my 2001 Tradewinds 7371 DP.

DO NOT try to run your A/Cs or microwave off Inverter only... or you will have a major problem like I did. As a big rookie mistake being a new RVer, I fried the inverter and the head unit in hallway.... along with the microwave/confection... when I turned on the Inverter and Charge modes on the head unit while the A/C switches were still turned on. Popping Buzzing noises and Smoke filled the coach until I could get everything shut down... but luckily no fire...!!!
I replaced the trashed Inverter with a new Xantrex 458 20d 81-2022-12 and new head unit to match... (Xantrex bought out Heart).
After a few months of everything being ok while on generator use only on every trip, I also just discovered this week only a couple of my outlets work while on Inverter only...? I spent all week trying to find out what the problem is, but turns out there is no problem... as that is the way it was designed.
ThewellZ helped me out a bunch, and I totally agree with him... the Inverter is just designed to keep necessary appliances like fridge motor and TVs operating for very low wattage needs when shore or gen power is not available. My battery level lights also turn red by morning (all brand new AGM batteries), until I turn on the Gen, or if there is enough sun for the Solar panel charge to boost it up. It sucks I have to run the Gen most of the time...

To answer part of your question... Leave the Invert and Charge buttons ON at all times (except for when out of service or in storage of course, then turn off everything)... then when you plug into Shore or Gen power the Pass-Thru switch built into your Inverter will put your Inverter into Standby Mode and send all big power to your entire coach and all outlets. When you disconnect from Gen or Shore power the Inverter 'sees' that it needs to switch back to inverter mode... but don't expect ALL of your outlets to work... only a couple. In my system (on Inverter only) only my rear TV, front TV, microwave clock, and bathroom outlet work... everything else is dead.
I hope this helps, and saves you hours of troubleshooting and frustration like I just experienced....
__________________
Jim Boutelle - Retired - Carlsbad NM
(home of the Carlsbad Caverns - Whites City resort)
2000 National RV Tradewinds 7371
jboutelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mariposa, CA
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboutelle View Post
DO NOT try to run your A/Cs or microwave off Inverter only... or you will have a major problem like I did. As a big rookie mistake being a new RVer, I fried the inverter and the head unit in hallway.... along with the microwave/confection... when I turned on the Inverter and Charge modes on the head unit while the A/C switches were still turned on.
Your inverter is mis-wired or had a catastrophic failure.

Turning on an inverter/charger with ACs on should have no effect.
__________________
2003 - 2010: 2004 35' National RV Sea Breeze LX 8341
2010 - 2021: 2001 41' Newmar Mountain Aire 4095
2021 - ???? : 2001 31' National RV Sea View 8311
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Your inverter is mis-wired or had a catastrophic failure.

Turning on an inverter/charger with ACs on should have no effect.
Yes, apparently the 20+ year old Heart Freedom 20d and Head Unit (in the coach hallway) had a catastrophic failure.
Another member on a different thread revealed there had been a factory recall of that particular interface head unit, and that he also suffered a similar failure of that head unit... so maybe that was the culprit...???
I am assuming I overloaded the Inverter and/or Head Unit when I pushed the Invert and Charge buttons at the same time, causing the catastrophe to occur, because as soon as I looked up and saw the A/Cs switch was on and I turned it off the noise and smoke stopped... however it could have just been perfect timing when the entire Inverter system crashed completely...???
__________________
Jim Boutelle - Retired - Carlsbad NM
(home of the Carlsbad Caverns - Whites City resort)
2000 National RV Tradewinds 7371
jboutelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries, charging, inverter



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heart Interface Freedom 20D Charging Issues Wildesbunch RV Systems & Appliances 3 08-27-2021 05:04 PM
Heart Freedom 20 Combi inverter/charger charging issue. daveshan RV Systems & Appliances 8 06-20-2021 06:06 PM
Charging Batteries, Running Refrigerators, and Charging Batteries NM.West 5th Wheel Discussion 12 07-01-2017 04:27 PM
Heart Freedom 15 Inverter pops input circuit breaker. JB Texas MH-General Discussions & Problems 11 05-04-2005 09:53 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.