Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #1

Help figuring towing capacity

I purchased what I thought was a 1999 SeaBreeze. The title came back saying that it was a 2000 Sea Breeze AND the plate next to the driver's seat says it is a 1998. It didn't come with any manuals so I've been trying to figure it out with what I can find online.

It has a GMC (P30, I believe) chassis with a vortec engine. No idea how strong a power plant this is but I do sometimes have to downshift when ascending the steeper western PA hills.

Anyway, now I'm ready to start traveling and would like to tow something so I don't have to keep renting cars. However, I don't know what I'm able to tow safely. (I do plan on getting a brake assist for the toad)

Here are the only numbers on the plate by the driver's seat.
GVWR: 6713 KGS or 14,800 lbs
GAWR Front 2,495 KGS or 5,500 lbs
GAWR Rear 4,536 KGS or 10,000 lbs

These seem low to me. Does anybody have any experience with this motorhome to know if these are the right weights?

I was thinking about getting an older Jeep Cherokee Sport but they weigh in at 2223 KGS or about 4,890 lbs. Is this too heavy?

Thanks
BrianV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
towing

Hi, you need to get the GCVW,(Gross COMBINED vehicle weight). The brake system on your coach can stop the coach weight plus the combined weight total. Our coach has a gross weight of 22,000 lbs with a GCVW of 26,000 lbs. That gives us 4,000 lbs of weight to tow without tow vehicle having breaks. I would not tow without tow vehicle having break system. I think in NC any tow 1,000 lbs needs breaks. Towing weight could be 5,000 lbs + -.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, however there is no indication on the plate for COMBINED weights. That's really what my problem is. Does anybody have a GCVR for a 98/99 Seabreeze on a gmc chassis? The MH is 31 feet long, so I think it is a 1310 model.

Happy New Year to all
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
If there is only a 5000 lb hitch on it I would be surprised if it wouldn"t tow your vehicle safely with brakes,with only a small % of your vehicles wieght on the actually on the tounge,unless you using a tow dolly, you are not affecting the hitch weight that much and thus not affecting the GVWR a whole lot.....I;m guessing that your GCWR would allow for the "5000lb" hitch to be used as intended as long as your hitch wieght is negligable, It does on my tradewinds.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used to have a 1996 P30 chassis under a 30 ft mh. The towing capacity was only 3500 lbs. The chassis was also rated @ 14800 lbs GVWR. I bought it new and about a year after I got I received a letter from Chev that said you should use aux brakes any time you towed over 1000 lbs.
onecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #6

Thanks folks, that was really helpful.

Tags
seabreeze, toad, weight