Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Help removing CD changer from dash

Hello all,

I'm re-vamping the entertainment systems in my new-to-me 07 Dolphin. The current challenge is replacing the Jensen car stereo (head unit) and the Jensen 10-disc CD changer. (See photo)

I have the installation "forks" that came with the head unit, so that unit should pull out of the dash pretty easily (I hope!). I expect pulling the CD changer mounted below it will be the challenge. The installation manual for the changer shows two angle brackets that bolt the CD changer box to some mounting point. I'm not sure if National used those, or something else.

Any ideas how to get that CD changer out of the dash? And what is the mounting situation in the dash that secure it? Someone else must have done this.

Thanks for any help.
Karl
Attached Images

2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello. I had the exact model and same issue. If I remember correctly, the CD player sits in a wood box screwed into a bracket. The entire dash which is screwed and velcro on needs to be removed to get inside. I wanted an aftermarket Apple CarPlay installed so I just gave up and brought it to a stereo shop. I can be done - it just takes removing the entire dash to get to the screws. Unrelated, I had the stereo shop place a speaker in that slot. I have the image in another thread.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey sc0tty,

Thanks for the reply. I found your install images on your other post. Nice clean install.

Looks like you pulled the old head unit yourself ... from the shot with the wiring exposed. Was there a metal DIN "cage" that the head unit slid into? Or was it also a plywood box?

I also see a couple connectors below the speaker ... are those a USB and an AUX for getting your music collection in?

regards,
Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 09-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Karl,

The head unit was in a double din cage and pretty easy to get our. I inserted four nails into the four holes on each corner. The head unit is clipped into the cage on the sides. I inserted four long nails into the holes on each corner. Push out to unlock the clips, the head unit should feel loose, and slide out. You can actually see the CD changer underneath and the wood box I was talking about earlier.

I had a USB port installed under the old CD changer area which is connected to the new radio system. I wanted one with Apple CarPlay since I keep music on the cloud (some on my phone). I wish I installed two USB ports, one for the radio and a second to charge another device.

Scott
Old 09-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the details.

BTW, if you want another USB charge port by that stereo unit, why not plug one of these chargers into one, or both, of the cigarette lighter sockets by the radio switch or the generator switch?

There are lots of chargers out there. I like this one because it has an all-metal case and provides fast charging on both USB sockets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

regards,
Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 09-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Karl,
Yeah - you're right. I'll probably just do that exact idea. I already have an Amazon Auto in one plug - I'm still messing with the automated RV thing.
Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #7

I am eventually will replace my Jensen VR180. I assume a wiring adapter will be needed instead of cutting and splicing. What model should I use and where did you get it?
Old 09-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSparkPlug View Post
I am eventually will replace my Jensen VR180. I assume a wiring adapter will be needed instead of cutting and splicing. What model should I use and where did you get it?
Yes, I needed a wiring adapter, but I was not sure which one. With the wiring and getting the CD changer out, I decided to take it to a shop. I just don't have these skills and I didn't want to waste money buying the wrong items. I ended up with a Kenwood system that has Adroid and Apple CarPlay. I'm an iPhone user.

Tags
dash