Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having a dedicated circuit is different than plugging into a circuit that is shared. I used to do this at my son's home using an outdoor plug. His daughters would go into the 1/2 bath and plug in a hair dryer. I used to get my exercise going from the coach to their breaker box and flipping a breaker on. Don't try to explain to a grand-daughter that they can't dry their hair.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks again everyone,,I like Steelheadbluesman's idea of just putting in a 50A or 30A receptacle in the garage at the front. But I will try the 110 and see if it works for what I need it for..Happy trails!
gonational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Don't try to explain to a grand-daughter that they can't dry their hair.
Prolly about as hard as explaining to a Grandparent that they can't use the electric heater!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
We've got a 2005 Dolphin that we do the same thing with. 50 to 30 adapter, 30 to 15 adapter, plugged into the outside outlet where the coach is parked. Love it! Keeps the house batteries charged all the time. Not enough to run either ac, but it'll handle the microwave and old school 27" flat tube tv up front at the same time. Handles furnace just fine too, since we run it on propane.

We like to camp out next to the house sometimes on a Friday or Saturday night and it makes it pretty handy. Married for 27 years and we still dig hanging out together on a Friday night in the MH, watching a movie and having a fun time together.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 30 amp circuit up to the garage and a 30 amp socket for the MH and keep it plugged in all the time.I was going to add a 50 amp breaker to the house box and run a line up to the garage, but after looking at the cost of the wire alone for a run of over 100', I decided it wasn't worth it. The line I have now has been buried for a long,long,long time and has been cut and spliced a couple of times and I'd really like to replace it,butttt.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I was going to add a 50 amp breaker to the house box and run a line up to the garage, but after looking at the cost of the wire alone for a run of over 100', I decided it wasn't worth it.
I know where you're coming from. I wired our hot tub with either 6 or 8 (Been a while) gauge for a 60' run and it wasn't cheap. Got lucky on the breaker, because we had the builder change elec range to gas when house was about 90% complete and after they'd already installed 50 amp breaker.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
I know where you're coming from. I wired our hot tub with either 6 or 8 (Been a while) gauge for a 60' run and it wasn't cheap. Got lucky on the breaker, because we had the builder change elec range to gas when house was about 90% complete and after they'd already installed 50 amp breaker.
Wow! They'd installed a 50 amp breaker for an electric range? Is that SOP on new construction these days?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Hot tub is supposed to have a GFCI breaker, and they are very $$$.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I had the same cost issue as well, picked up a temp pole only to find out that DHEC wanted me to have a septic field. Anyway returned the pole and was able to p/u 2 50' 30 amp cords from RV Adventure on sale. I installed a 30amp outlet at my garage and now I can plug in at the garage or run the extension cords to my RV shed. I'd love to have a 30 amp at the RV shed but this was much easier that digging thru red clay and rocks for 100'.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
.... but after looking at the cost of the wire alone for a run of over 100', I decided it wasn't worth it.
I know what you mean. Our run from the breaker box is about 75 feet from the RV outlet and the cost difference between the appropriate wire for 30amp vs 50amp was significant - and given that we can run nearly all we need in the motorhome, should we use it as a spare bedroom, 30amp is fine for us at home.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Hot tub is supposed to have a GFCI breaker, and they are very $$$.
It does.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Wow! They'd installed a 50 amp breaker for an electric range? Is that SOP on new construction these days?
Not sure. I saw it in the box, labeled range and since we had a last minute change out to gas, I used it.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second the "Know the limits" comment.

I would recommend only running the converter as much as possible, avoid the use of A/C and Microwave or water heater.. Converter and Fridge are OK, once the batteries have charged fully then you can consider the A/C but be preapared to reset the breaker for the outlet.

Also, sometimes Rv's do not play nice with GFCI protected outlets.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonational View Post
We have 50a cord,,goingto buy a 50/30 reducer, then a 30/110 reducer, then hook it to my garage 110. Anything we should be aware of when doing this?
as long as the 120V outlet is 20 amp breaker and its totally(circut) dedicated to the MH.It should work fine for lites,vacum,inverter/converter
I doubt It will be good for AC unless u first shut off inverter/converter draw etc.
dont use a extention cord either.Also make sure the outlet plug u attach the MH to is not GFI protected as that can cause problems.
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote