Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Home hook up

We have 50a cord,,goingto buy a 50/30 reducer, then a 30/110 reducer, then hook it to my garage 110. Anything we should be aware of when doing this?
gonational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Only use one thing at a time. either one A/C or microwave or vacuum.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
gonational,

I am doing the same thing with my 06 sea breeze. My 30/110 reducer is into a 30 amp circuit. I leave mine connected coninually and am wondering if there is a chance I could be overcharging the house batteries. When checking the battery voltage it is showing 13.5 amps.
rvmike1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmike1227 View Post
gonational,

I am doing the same thing with my 06 sea breeze. My 30/110 reducer is into a 30 amp circuit. I leave mine connected coninually and am wondering if there is a chance I could be overcharging the house batteries. When checking the battery voltage it is showing 13.5 amps.
Your inverter should not be over charging your batteries. If you were at a campground for a week it would overcharge then so it must not do it when home.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, I thought it was ok to do that..I'm having a tech do some work on m..y thermostat and refridge and thought it would be good to hook up at home with some real juice while he doing the job. Any ways now we'll go out and buy the plugs. We love this site. Thanks again..by the way, I didn't know the inverter charged my batteries. What I thought was the battery power goes thru the inverter and changes it to electricity to run the appliances and maybe a couple of outlet. Am I wrong?
gonational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #6

There is one that puts 120v to 12 volt and charges battery. Inverters go from 12 volt to 120 volt. I am getting my terms mixed.

I think converter and inverter.

Now most campers don't have inverters but most motorhomes do.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chances are you won't be able to run your A/C on the house 20 amp circuit. You will only be able to run one high current appliance at a time, hair dryer, electric heater, elec fry pan, etc. Take your pick and turn off anything else that draws high watts.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Chances are you won't be able to run your A/C on the house 20 amp circuit. You will only be able to run one high current appliance at a time, hair dryer, electric heater, elec fry pan, etc. Take your pick and turn off anything else that draws high watts.
And you probably won't be able to run even those if the house circuit you plug into has much of an existing load on it, even temporarily

Vacuum cleaner+heater+15 amp house circuit= kablooey!

Not to get too technical...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I ran a dedicated 15A circuit out to the side of the garage for my truck camper, after buying the coach I also tie it into the outlet using a 50 to 15/20A adapter. It does limit what I can run, one AC on either rig, the microwave on either rig, or all the lights on any or both I want.

Both are fully charged through driving by the time I get home from anywhere so converter load isn't an issue. Both have a "smart" 3 stage converter be sure yours does also or watch the water in the batteries closely.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Like Dan says, you are limited and most likely your garage breaker is only 15 Amps. If you have a garage door opener you may trip the circuit by running AC in the MH and open the garage door at the same time, ask me how I know.

99 Tradewinds 7371 -98 Jeep TJ modified
tufftj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
You might consider running a 30A, or even a 50 amp circuit to your garage.... Or maybe the existing wire is large enough to handle 30A already, and all you need to do is change the breaker. Then you could run pretty much anything you want.... I ran a 50A from the house panel to the driveway for my MH, and everything works great, no issues. Just a thought........
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a dedicated 15amp Outdoor circuit that we used this summer to keep our Motorhome plugged into, going from 50 --> 30 adaptor --> 110 adaptor. We were able to run a single a/c on this circuit without a problem.

I do have a new 30amp receptacle and cabling that I plan to install when we get back home. Our MH is 50amp, but due to the length that I have to run new cabling from the breaker box, I decided to just go with a 30amp setup. We've been at some campsites where we were limited to 30amp, and the only problem we ran into was running 2 a/c units PLUS the microwave - that would trip the a/c or microwave breaker. This will not be an issue in the driveway, so 30amp it is -- or will be.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #13

I am fortunate to have space to park my MH next to my former horse barn/shop. I put in a 50 amp breaker and 30 amp receptacle in the front opening of the barn. Plug and receptacle are inside out of the weather and hooked up all the time.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #14

I ran my RV off of a 15 amp all last summer. I could only use one thing at a time. I will be putting a 30 amp next summer so I can use vacuum and run AC and fridge.