Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hose with no where to connect

After a Easter weekend trip, I forgot to re winterize, then the temperature dropped into the twenties. I turned the furnace on, but maybe too late. Everything seemed to work at first, but after a few days, water ran out onto the ground from near the water heater. I found a hose with an open end, it has a hose clamp on it, and water runs out of it when the pump is on. I plugged the hose, turned the pump on and tried all the faucets, the toilet and shower and all worked. I have the water heater bypass on, I tried turning the bypass off, and water ran out the water heater drain. I have no idea where this hose should be connected. It is grey, all the others are white. The only time this area has been worked on a hose was replaced in 2005.
You guys always come up with good ideas on how to fix things, shall I just leave it plugged and forget it?
lascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #2

The length of the hose will determine the possible locations. I would check where the hose will reach and backtrack from there. I'm sure that there can't be too many possibilities. Easier to fix in driveway than on the road somewhere. What is the diameter of the hose?
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #3

When you say the "water heater drain" do you mean the low point drain ? Is the hose clamp the same as the rest of the clamps ? Could this hose have been plugged off as a result of the work in 2005 and the plug blew out ? If it doesn't reach somewhere obvious it is pretty odd.
Good luck
Tom
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #4

Is this hose soft (like rubber) or harder (like plastic)? What is the diameter of the hose (inside and outside)? If all the heater connections, including the bypass, are intact I would expect the hose is from something "near" the heater. For instance, the reefer ice cube maker ?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies, The hos is 1/2 inch ID is long enough to reach a lot of places. The drain in the water heater is where the plug is removed for winterizing, the plug is out now, and when the valve is set to "water heater" not "water heater bypass" and the pump is on, water comes out the drain, as it should. I don't remember seeing that hose before tihis incident.
Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #6

I love a mystery. The upside is, it is water, not gas or electricity that you can't see. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #7

Hard or soft ... as in Plastic Pipe or Rubber Hose? Are you plumbed for clothes washer?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plug it and forget it.. Last week i found a water line under the fridge, by the furnace that is plugged, and goes nowhere.. I wonder why it has never froze?
Old 06-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After the hose end was plugged, I refilled the waterheater ,and the leak resumed when the pump was on. We then found another loose end and connected the two, then the problem was solved.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good deal. Thanks for letting us know that the problem was solved.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote