Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater Electric Switch

Hey my helpful National Motorhome Friends. I was told I have an electric and gas hot water heater in my 03 Tradewinds. But the switch under my sink that I was told turns on the electric element turns red but doesn't seem to keep the water in the heater very warm. Does anybody out there have this same switch and does it work as well as the propane element? Thanks everybody you have been very helpful on everything else.
awolsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my coach, I have a 6 gal water heater tank, and that's pretty skinny (limited) when taking a shower. So, I keep the electric element on all the time and that provides enough hot water for routine things like dish washing. When I shower, I kick in the propane heater to make the water hotter and that lasts through my shower......works for me. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So THAT'S what that switch is for
Couldn't figure it out

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
If the switch is OK,and you still have cooler hot water, you most likely have thermostats on the tank and they could be failing to allow the water to get hot enough. Suggest checking the stats.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #5

Well I was told that was what the switch did, but maybe it's just a very dim night light?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
In our '03 Tradewinds LTC, the AC switch is on the left side of the cabinet above the bathroom sink.
The attached red lamp illuminates when activated. We are full timers and only use the propane option as a supplement if we want extra hot water in a hurry! If you don't think it is working, perhaps the element is dead or there is a bad connection. Get your volt meter out and check the connections on the element in the tank for continuity. They are easy to get at right under the tank cover on the side of your coach.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your water is not getting hot enough, Yes, it is possible the T-Stats need replacing but much higher on the hit parade are SUE's. we all do SUEs (Stupid User Errors) Here are 2 or 3 that give you cool hot water.

1: My House as a 3 valve water heater byass. Used when winterizing, if I forget to CLOSE the bypass valve.. I get rather cool water out of it (Since the cold water flows via the bypass to the hot side)

2 (And 3) 2 is the outside shower.. Many are the people who have cut off the water flow at the shower head and left both hot and cold valves open allowing it to function like the bypass up above (3 is the indoor shower, same thing).
Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2002 Dolphin 5355, I had to turn on the electric heater switch located on the back side of the water heater I never have to turn on the LP gas, the water is hot enough to nearly burn you.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #9

The two-sided-tape on my thermostat came loose allowing for space between the thermostat and the tank...boiling water out the pressure valve clue'd-me-in...I adjusted the thermostat for hot water we liked. The 6 gallon tank will last both of us using the shut-off feature on the shower head.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
On my 2001 dolphin I have the same setup. When I first got the MH the electric heater didn't work. I assumed the element was bad. I eventually got around to checking it out and it turns out there was a circuit breaker on the electric box mounted on the tank that was tripped. Have to use a pencil or small wooden dowel to reset it since it's deep in the box in a hole.
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #11

Mike was the fuse you spoke of under the sink cabinet, so the back side of the hot water heater or in the outside door where the drain plug is?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Bad electrical element. Mine did the same thing. Replaced element...... all is good. Careful to NOT have switch on if water tank is empty. You will have to repeat the process again.
greg6746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
HRS

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the switch is left on for a long time with out water moving through the system i.e. Hooked up to water or the water pump on the tank can go dry and the electric heating element will burn out. This happened to me. To check the heating element disconnect and check the terminals of the element with a meter. It should show resistance. If it show an open condition you need to replace the element. Hope that this helps.

Tags
heater, water, water heater