Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Hot Water Tank Connection Leak

My intent in sharing my recent repair "opportunity" is to pass along the information to those of you who are full timers with coaches that have a few years of age...

Last Wednesday evening we returned home to find water dripping from the passenger rear corner of our coach. The hot water tank lives in this corner.
My tank is not easy to access. From inside it is under the bottom shelf in our closet. When I replaced the tank several years ago, I cut out the entire entire shelf bottom and fabricated a new 2 piece replacement that gave me access to the entire top of the tank. 16 screws keep it sealed and rattle free...
By the time I got access, the only obvious evidence of the leak was the wet floor. There was a little corrosion on both fittings, but not much. The tank heat had dried everything. In hindsight I should have turned the water back on to source the leak, but I assumed the tank had failed. I looked online at prices and decided to see if I could save all my components and just replace the tank itself.

I pulled it out carefully, and could find no evidence of any failure. When the original tank died, the bad spot was obvious. It was difficult to inspect the PEX fittings but I had already decided to replace them and add on/off valves to both lines. Once I cut the PEX and got the old fittings out where I could get a close look it was obvious the rubber seals were in terrible condition! I replaced both connectors and added my on/off valves. I reinstalled the tank and everything is perfect!
It turns out a neighbor had the same problem recently. He is a retired plumber and thinks that style of connector in a full timer situation where they are hot constantly, is probably not the best choice.
So, my point is that I suggest you add the inspection of these connections to your maintenance list. Nothing fails at 10am mid week on a day you have no plans and all the parts stores are open!!!
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #2

I keep a pack of these in my tool box ; and replace the cone seals anytime I remove a pex connector .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swivel seal.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	312858  
Old 12-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for posting the info on the replacement seals Skip!
I was not aware they were available... I'm gonna pick some up!
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:47 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the info on the seals . I had the same problem on mine.In the process of changing out the 25 year old grey pex.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, leak, tank, water