Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Hot Water Tank Element

Has anyone replaced the heating ac element in a 10 gal national tropical?
where is it and how do you get to it to remove and replace it?
I know my gas works but I think when I bought it the previous owner Burt the element out
when I switch on the 12v switch the gas works but when I put the 120 ac on nothing want to check the power to the element and the ohms
thanks in advance
cricket2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What brand and model? After you know that, go online and search for an owners manual. A parts diagram will most likely be found. The diagram should be good enough to figure out how to remove it.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two posibilities.....1) If you have an "aftermerket" installed heating element, then it is installed in the drain plug hole on the front of the heater, easy to get to. If it is "original", then it is installed in the back of the water heater, very difficult to access without cutting an access hole in the cabinet face inside the MH, (that's what I did) Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
What brand and model? After you know that, go online and search for an owners manual. A parts diagram will most likely be found. The diagram should be good enough to figure out how to remove it.
Best answer^^.

The two major brands, Atwood and Suburban, locate the elements in different places. Atwood is typically at the rear, hidden from easy access, whereas the Suburban is located in the front, behind the outside access door, and is easily removed.

My former coach, a Tropi-Cal, had an Atwood heater but I didn't have to change the element. My current coach has a Suburban 10 gallon and I recently replaced the element. Very easy with the proper tools.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #5

Before you replace the element, see if there is a red 'reset' button behind the cover. Most electric elements have a built-in safety to prevent damage if it's powered up without water in the tank. Simply pressing the red 'reset' button may be all you need.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto to what Richard said. That RED reset button is on the back of the tank. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Best answer^^.

The two major brands, Atwood and Suburban, locate the elements in different places. Atwood is typically at the rear, hidden from easy access, whereas the Suburban is located in the front, behind the outside access door, and is easily removed.

My former coach, a Tropi-Cal, had an Atwood heater but I didn't have to change the element. My current coach has a Suburban 10 gallon and I recently replaced the element. Very easy with the proper tools.

The above post provides very good info about the 2 different brands.

In your profile you post 2005 year RV
If you have an Atwood it could be bad element BUT could also be a DC Voltage issue.......No DC on 'electric' controls, Bad DC/AC Relay, Bad AC wires on DC Relay or bad element

Element, DC/AC Relay along with associated wiring is under protective cover on backside of water heater tank

Access to backside could be from inside RV, from a removable panel in compartment next to water heater, from removable panel underneath RV

Atwood Wiring

IF Suburban ...much easier
Element under cover behind/below gas valve
120V AC wiring is direct----Circuit Breaker to AC Junction Box (on backside of tank) to On/Off to set of t-stats to element

So as you can see.......matters WHICH Brand/Model you have

AND what year of RV........
No Reset on Atwood after 2003 (2004 versions do not have reset for ECO/Hi Temp T-stat)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
heater element

Thanks guys
I have a atwood and there is a rectangle draw blank below the wasker
in the back bedroom
I believe that is where the hot water tank is but ot sure
I hope I donot have to remove the washer to get to it?
will look for the button and check all the wiring on it this weekend to make sure the board is working on it
Is the board the same for he gas?
This wire diagram will help a lot
Thanks again from all
cricket2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #9

I have a 2006 National RV Seabreeze LX 8321, does anyone know where the hot water tank is located? I sure can/t find it and it's a 10-gallon one. I found the 120V and 12V switches on the control panel and that's it.
retired70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just look for the outside panel. It's got a quarter turn latch on the top. If that doesn't work. Run some hot water and turn on the propane part of the water heater. Now,,,,,, go outside and find the roar of the flame. Don't ask how to get back in the coach[emoji6][emoji6]
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
element, tank, water