Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #1

House batteries

2000 TRADEWINDS MODEL 7373. I now have four Trojan house btteries and i was wondering if i could replace them with two 12 volt deep cycle batteries. I do not plan to do any dry camping this year or in the near future. I was wondering about EGM deep cycle batteries. Would this work? If not, Why? I do not know much about batteries as you can tell. If anyone has other suggestions i will certainly listen. Thanks
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #2

You can replace them with anything you'd like as long as they fit. Right now, I'm assuming you have four 6 volt batteries, 2 in series and two in parallel. It's basically the same thing as what you want to do with two 12v batteries which will be 2 in parallel. They'll be wired differently though. You are basically connecting both (-) and (+) terminals together on both batteries and then your wires to the coach will be connected to both batteries. Here is one way to do it.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #3

Yes, i am talking about the 4 6-volt house batteries
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #4

Well then get two 12v deep cycle batteries with as much amperage as you can find that will fit in your bay.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Each pair of Trojan T-105's can be replaced by an single 8-D 12 volt battery if you want the same capacity.. and perhaps a hernia. (That is a joke, the full joke is with a pair of GC-2 Golf car batteries in series you get 12 volts DC at 230 amp horus C/20 rate, With a single 8 D you get the same voltage, same capacity and a hernia cause them puppies are HEAVY, though that said, I can carry one safely).

However if you do not need the capacity (430-460 amp hours for the ones you have) you can replace them with a pair of G-24. 75 amp hours each, 150 total. you lose a LOT of capacity that way.. you may need to re-program or downgrade yoru converter as well as you do not want to exceed 30% of c/20 for charging (in this case make that 45 amps)
Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #6

I'd go with at least a couple of 12V Group 31 batteries which will be about 1/2 the capacity you have now. They each typically weigh about 65 lbs and deliver around 100+ amp hours and you should be fine if you don't boondock or use a residential fridge.
Suggest TRUE deep cycle batts which you generally cannot get at your local tire store or WalMart. Try the marine store and avoid any battery which talks about cranking amp or says dual use on the label.
DEKA Marine Master DC31's would be a good example but others are available.

All that said...you're probably better off keeping the same set up you have and getting new golf cart 6V batteries at Sams or Costco for about the same $$.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #7

"The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray" You may not plan to dry camp but doesn't mean that you might not be put into that position by conditions outside your control.
My opinion only but if I'm going to spend X number of dollars I would want the most amp-hours for those dollars whether that two 12 volt or four 6 volt.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries