Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

House Batteries Wont Charge

Here is what I have done:

- With the Generator running, I am only getting 12.3v at the house batteries.
- When I am pluged into 110v at my house I am only getting 12.3V at the house batteries.
- When I start the motor on the RV I get 13.5v at the house batteries.
- When I am plugged into 110v or when the generator is running all my major appliances work like normal. (Microwave, TV, AC, ect)

Motorhome:

1999 National Seaview 8340
Ford V10

Generator:
Generac Highline Q-55G
GN-480 OHVI

Please let me know if you need any other information.

I appreciate any help, If you suggest checking something, can you please describe what it looks like and where it might be. I can use a multimeter but this is my first RV and first time working on a charging system like this so I am not very familiar with what things are called or what they look like.

Again thank you for any help.
Honey_Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_Hole View Post
Here is what I have done:

- With the Generator running, I am only getting 12.3v at the house batteries.
- When I am pluged into 110v at my house I am only getting 12.3V at the house batteries.
- When I start the motor on the RV I get 13.5v at the house batteries.
- When I am plugged into 110v or when the generator is running all my major appliances work like normal. (Microwave, TV, AC, ect)

Motorhome:

1999 National Seaview 8340
Ford V10

Generator:
Generac Highline Q-55G
GN-480 OHVI

Please let me know if you need any other information.

I appreciate any help, If you suggest checking something, can you please describe what it looks like and where it might be. I can use a multimeter but this is my first RV and first time working on a charging system like this so I am not very familiar with what things are called or what they look like.

Again thank you for any help.
What is the make and model of your Inverter/Charger?

usually looks something like this and is often in a baggage compartment next to the compartment with the house batteries.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #3

Hi,
The problem is that your converter or inverter/charger is not charging the battery. An inverter/chharger is usually near your battery bankl. A converter can be just about anywhere. If you have a combination AC and DC power panel, the converter is sometimes located inside of it.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like your converter is not running=need to check fuses and breakers. Also your converter may be old enough to think about upgrading should the converter be bad. Converter should charge batteries when plugged in to 120 vac or running the generator.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On genny or shore power the battery voltage stays the same as when the genny is off or shore power is disconnected, correct? if yes, Sounds like the converter (battery charger) is not charging. Find it and check for 120vac into it and 12vdc out. If no input check for tripped breaker. If no output and you have input, converter likely bad or blown fuse/breaker.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
Hi,
The problem is that your converter or inverter/charger is not charging the battery. An inverter/chharger is usually near your battery bankl. A converter can be just about anywhere. If you have a combination AC and DC power panel, the converter is sometimes located inside of it.

Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
What is the make and model of your Inverter/Charger?

usually looks something like this and is often in a baggage compartment next to the compartment with the house batteries.

Wow thank you so much for the quick responds and the descriptive help.

I found the "Converter Charger" it is a Magnetek Series 900 Model 950

Is there any way to test it? I can hear a nice humming noise coming from it when it is plugged into 110V (I did not check if it humming noise is present when plugged into generator )

Thank you again for the help
Old 01-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Magnetek Converters and Where to Reach Them

http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net...197cf894aa.pdf

http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net...30a0e3df20.pdf
Old 01-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
If it is humming (forgot the words?) then the 120 vac side of it is good. Now check the 12 volt DC output for voltage and let us know what it is.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #9

Parallax Power Supply - Archived Tech Docs

What documentation there is is under archived stuff.

FWIW it might be time to just replace your Magnetec with a newer smart charger.

If you're skilled at reading between the lines, heres the brochure for yours:

http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net...30a0e3df20.pdf

Sorry to say buy your Magnetec at best is a harmonically regulated transformer best used to run your lights while plugged into shore power.

I say spend the money on a 4-stage charger converter and you'll be happy.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
On genny or shore power the battery voltage stays the same as when the genny is off or shore power is disconnected, correct? if yes, Sounds like the converter (battery charger) is not charging. Find it and check for 120vac into it and 12vdc out. If no input check for tripped breaker. If no output and you have input, converter likely bad or blown fuse/breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
If it is humming (forgot the words?) then the 120 vac side of it is good. Now check the 12 volt DC output for voltage and let us know what it is.
So it plugs into a 120v out let. I checked that and I have power coming from there.

It has a large Wire that runs to the nearby circuit panel. I checked for power where it attached to the circuit board and it is 12.3V, is it suppose to be 13.5V?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes it should be 13.5 to 14.0. Now with power off (unplug it) remove the fat wire, being careful do not short it to anything,plug the converter back in to the 120 and take a new dc reading of the fat wire with it hook to nothing.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_Hole View Post
So it plugs into a 120v out let. I checked that and I have power coming from there.

It has a large Wire that runs to the nearby circuit panel. I checked for power where it attached to the circuit board and it is 12.3V, is it suppose to be 13.5V?

Assuming the connection is the wire with the blue end, there is a notation on the board that says something about "CB3 located at ... " (can't read it).

and yes, the output should be around 13.5 volts.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you do need to put in a modern charger you batteries will thank you for it. The modern 4 level charger is the bees knees for batteries.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Yes it should be 13.5 to 14.0. Now with power off (unplug it) remove the fat wire, being careful do not short it to anything,plug the converter back in to the 120 and take a new dc reading of the fat wire with it hook to nothing.
Thank you so much for taking the time to walk me through this step by step. Electrical is definitely my weakest point, but I try and every time I try I learn more, So thank you for teaching me.

I unplugged it, removed the wire from the circuit board, replugged it back in, and did a DC reading at read 14.9.

Now I am confused haha

Tags
batteries, house batteries