Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
I read a post on one of the forums (seems like they were going to Alaska) where they made a cradle under the rig that would hold a 22.5 mounted tire. It used a small electric winch to raise and lower the tire. The control for the winch was mounted in one of the bays. It worked much like what is used on some pickups. After the tire was in place there was some sort of safety device to secure the whole deal.

I do recall looking under mine after reading the post and it looked like it would work on mine if I ever wanted to go that route.

Found it! It is Joe on this forum... Maybe he can re-post the photos.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/spar...ion-29951.html
Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'm not sure where you got that idea from they are in fact all the very same.

The only way there is a difference is the aluminum wheels where the fronts are polished on the outside (flatter surface) and the outer rear are polished on the inside (cupped looking) surface and may or may not have a steel wheel for the inner dual or a machined surface wheel if aluminum.

The advantage if you have your own tire and wheel is if you have say a workhorse 22.5 with the 8 hole pattern and damage a wheel you may find it will take some time to get a replacement wheel.

There is normally a big area under the rear of the frame where a mount bracket can be fabricated to carry the tire & wheel out of sight while being very accessible to get to even with a toad. It would not be something you could load or unload yourself but a reasonably good tire service person could.

You would have to content with the extra weight in the back.
Now thats a shot in the dark. I don't mean to be disparaging but the chances of that happening are about the same as growing a new tire.
Just get COACH-NET and for $90 per year you won't have to screw around with all the drama !

It is my understanding that If you tell Coach Net that you need a loaner tire and wheel to get you in, they can supply that ALTHOUGH in 90,000 + miles in an RV, I have never had a flat.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not carry a spare.. Rather carry a Coach Net card,

These tires are very expensive, and since it's not driven on enough to raise the essential oils in the rubber to the surface the spare has a rather poor "Shelf Life" unless fully protected, and most of the tire covers I've seen only hide the tire, they don't protect it.

Now that said,, I do have the strength to change a flat on this house.... (Proved it in fact) but it's not something I enjoy doing by myself.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's all in what makes you feel safe and secure. None, wheel, tire only or tire and wheel.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote