Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Probably not the same system as yours, but here goes.

On our coach, to get high idle, you turn the cruise control on. Then you press the SET button, then you press the RES button repeatedly until you finally reach the desired RPM.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
On my DSDP I think that I turn cruise on then just keep hitting the set and it idles up about 50 or 100 RPM's per bump. I can't check as it's in storage but try this and see what happens, I do it by habit and really have to think what I really do when someone asks. Good luck and happy Holidays.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
Probably not the same system as yours, but here goes.

On our coach, to get high idle, you turn the cruise control on. Then you press the SET button, then you press the RES button repeatedly until you finally reach the desired RPM.
Mine works like this except I can hold the RES button until I reach the idle speed I want - 1000 rpms.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
Yaj

Ours works intermittently, so I checked with the cruise control manufacturer ( King Cruise) and they told my there were some problems with the speed sensor in the transmission. They sent me instructions to add some resistors inside of the cruise box back by the engine. It would have been a lot of work to get to it so thinking out side of the box I realized it worked sometimes and not others, speed sensor..? hold foot brake shift transmission in and out of gear try again, it works! Sometimes while its working it will just drop out back to normal idle and won't work again until I do the shift thing again then it works again. Good Luck!

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Using the Smartwheel controls it's Cruise to ON and hit SET once. Engine jumps to 1,000 RPM instantly. The INC/DEC switch on the dash works independently increasing or decreasing the RPM with each tap of the switch by a small amount. This is on a Cummins ISL 370HP, 2003 model year coach.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #20

Try posting on your brand of MH and you might be helped a lot better, I'm sure they would know. JTTH
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another thought.......remembering that my coach, year, model, chassis did not originally come with access to the compressed air system for airing up the tires, etc. I had to make the modifications myself.......so, that may be why "fast idle" is not available! I'm now wondering, excluding the "air up the tires" reason, for what other reason do you need "fast idle"? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Engine manufacturers instruct you to use fast idle whenever you expect to idle for more than just a couple minutes. Using fast idle while airing up would fit that requirement since it will take a while. The process will be speeded up by having a partner pump the brakes to bring the tank pressure down to engage the compressor when tank and tire pressure start to reach equilibrium.

I gave up on that process and bought a portable compressor. It takes far less time.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a portable air compressor, noisy buzzard it is......now I need to sell it. So, other than airing up the tires, what other reason do you need "fast idle"? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 12-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
As to why one would want to use fast idle. On my rig if I want to warm up engine it needs fast idle. I will not warm up on regular idle if it is cold outside.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fast idle question

Has anyone who owns a 98 (or close year) Tradewinds DP w/CAT engine been able to get "fast idle"? I have read on here that if I set the cruise control "on" and push "set" that it will increase idle to about 1000 RPM's. Well, not my engine in my coach! I even pushed the accelerator until the rpm's went up to 1000, then pushed "set"....no luck. I've tried just about every combination of on, set and resume.....no luck. Rook

Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The low idle speed was essentially established to be able to shift the automatic transmission from neutral into gear. Plus if the idle speed was too fast, it would be difficult to hold the vehicle with the brakes at a stop light.

Having said that, the diesel engine does not like to be run at low idle speed for extended periods of time. It does not fuel properly, and it does not cool properly. Cummins engines with gear driven air compressors can experience premature timing gear wear when the engine is run at low idle for extended periods.

I've developed the procedure that anytime I'm stepping down from the coach with the engine idling, first I hit the cruise and set the idle speed at about 1000 RPM. If I'm trying to keep the engine heat up, or warm the engine up, I'll set the idle speed much higher than that.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Howdy Rook,

I have the CAT C12 engine, and that is exactly how mine works. Push accellerator pedal to get the desired RPMs and set the cruise. Holds it right there until you tell it to quit. Don't know the model CAT you have, so can't say they are supposed to be the same.

But, if you ask your question again over at the IRV2 CAT forum, I bet they will have an answer for ya.

Also, on cold days, my CAT comes up in fast idle at start up. Then drops to regular idle after a minute or 2. Don't have a clue if that is what it is supposed to do, but that's what it does.

Luck,

Bob
Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
The low idle speed was essentially established to be able to shift the automatic transmission from neutral into gear. Plus if the idle speed was too fast, it would be difficult to hold the vehicle with the brakes at a stop light.

Having said that, the diesel engine does not like to be run at low idle speed for extended periods of time. It does not fuel properly, and it does not cool properly. Cummins engines with gear driven air compressors can experience premature timing gear wear when the engine is run at low idle for extended periods.

I've developed the procedure that anytime I'm stepping down from the coach with the engine idling, first I hit the cruise and set the idle speed at about 1000 RPM. If I'm trying to keep the engine heat up, or warm the engine up, I'll set the idle speed much higher than that.
Exactly what Jim said. Letting any diesel just sit there and run at low idle speed isn't at all good for it. Fuel is burned inefficiently with excess fuel washing down the cylinder walls and then seeping past the rings and getting into the crankcase and diluting the oil eventually causing excess internal wear and shortening engine life.

I will kick it into high idle if I'm warming it up before jumping right onto the highway, when cooling it down after a hard run just before shutting down, or if I'm just going to be out of the driver's seat for a couple of minutes. Other than that I try to only idle at traffic lights and stop signs.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote