Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
How do I replace the National quality?

Am beginning to look at newer MH's, not new mind you, but "newer".

Have a 2004 National RV Seabreeze, have looked at a couple of 2006-7 vintage in different models. What a difference.....looked at couple of Georgetown, Bounder classic, and some others, WOW do I appreciate the quality of the National now. Walking in I was disappointed. Not dissing these brands, but there is a definite quality of build difference.

I did research before I bought the 2004 and found certain items that were important to me that I found in National, now where do I go to find that in some other brand without breaking the bank. Want to stay in the 34-36 range, gas, no tag axle, and nice quality build. Necessary are: full body paint, one piece fiberglass roof, molded end caps, and of course quality interior for DW, like Corian (or equiv), nice woodwork, quality furnishings, i.e. no Jack knife couch, etc..

Suggestions what to look at appreciated.

Also may help, what was last year of National Production? Would love to find a newer dolphin, but like the ford chassis, did they build Dolphins on ford chassis?
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #2

I'm a full timer and my experience is with Monaco and diesels but I've been in lots of coaches. If I were looking for a gas coach today, I would look in two directions.
1. You are already in an orphan coach & seem ok with that so I would look at a Monaco or Holiday Rambler. Here is an example:

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil.../07Monarch.pdf

Monaco builds a quality house and the new ASV/Monaco will provide tech support. This particular coach was build on both Ford & Workhorse chassis.

2. Winnebago. Winnie builds lots of coaches and does a reasonably good job.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Community Moderator

How do I replace the National quality?

Don't Newmar BayStar and CanyonStar gas models fit the bill ? The only negative is I believe these models had the BriteTek roof instead of fiberglass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405432176.465445.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	67955

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405432196.430764.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	67956
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We have a 2008 Sea Breeze 34L that we converted to a 34C by removing the long lounge sofa (with recliner and queen hide-a-bed) and replacing it with a dinette and short sofa that converts into a bed. We have had a few minor problems, the most serious is that we have numerous cracks in the Fiberglas roof that I will have to deal with this year. So far I have had no problem finding parts for anything needing repair (thanks in part to help from others on this forum). We have the Ford F53 chassis and Triton V-10 motor which gives us lots of power and torque. We tow a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X and I hardly notice it even though most of my travel is in the mountains. Best of all these units seem reasonably priced on the used market. Good luck in your search!

Alan.
alanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405466412.502116.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	687.8 KB
ID:	68011

I meant to include this photo of our MH in my last post.

Alan.
alanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
You may want to have a look at Country Coach. At one time they were owned by National and making high end National products. Worth looking into they may still have some of the National influence.
Dick

Country Coach Corporation - Motorhome Factory, Service Center, RV Parts
Old 07-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We have been looking to find an equal to our National Tradewinds the past few years and so far we have found nothing that would replace the walk around queen bed with two corian counter tops and two drawers under each, the cabinet space through out. Her large closet with shelves and a drop down totally across the back, "my" closet in the bath area with two sliding mirrored doors and four drawers under it. The wife's make up/hair do area with the 3 lights on each side with the flip up corian counter top that has molded areas for her makeup and other girl stuff. Been looking at new and used for the past 5 years and have found nothing yet to match the closet space. If I ever win the lottery perhaps I can design and order what we want through Prevost.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Last year we went to the RV show in So Cal. They had hundereds of MHs from all the mfg and every conceivable configuration. We couldn't find even one MH we would like more than our Dolphin, even MHs in the $200,000+ range. If I looked for something 'newer' I would look at other Dolphins. We love our Dolphin. Good Luck.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds to me like you already have what you want. We really like our 87 Southwind and would not consider trading it for anything else. Just think about all the money you will save by not trading up, new ones @ $160,000--you can do a lot of repairs to yours for that kind of money.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
Last year we went to the RV show in So Cal. They had hundereds of MHs from all the mfg and every conceivable configuration. We couldn't find even one MH we would like more than our Dolphin, even MHs in the $200,000+ range. If I looked for something 'newer' I would look at other Dolphins. We love our Dolphin. Good Luck.
That is what I have concluded too, I keep telling my DW that I guess I just can't custom order a used motorhome. I keep looking for few year newer Nationals, what I really would love is full body paint, the gel-coat is wearing me out!!

So now at the point of looking for new tires, and I just know once I do that I will keep her for several more years. Guess I'll just do that rather than moving up.

Just was SO surprised when I looked at several MHs at dealers about how "cheap" feeling they felt and looked inside compared to ours.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #11

Have you considered having your motorhome painted . In the Orlando area I know of at least one body shop that has the facilities and know how to paint RV's. Perhaps there is a shop in your area that can handle the job. Getting it painted would be less expensive then replacing it with something of lesser quality.
FredV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #12

We are way back to 97, but, I am continually amazed at the good vibes I get from being inside this coach. We too were at the '14 RV show, and, after the glitz of the $250k+ machines, (most of which I would be afraid to use or get dirty), most did not hold a candle to our Dolphin's design and craftsmanship.
I took the big step and did the exterior with Zep's last fall, and now that outside looks almost new, I am at complete comfort with her. Just fiished a flat-screen install and new Trojans, so, it's good for many more seasons, and no RV payment!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	68436  
CARVAL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #13

I'm always on the look for better, I want a DP... several RV shows, visiting lots and still have not found one I would trade my '05 Dolphin for even breaking the piggy bank.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #14

Never heard about a National RV. Nice too hear another good coach is out there. I'll put it on my list of choices. Had a great Safari Sahara chosen and someone bought it last wknd before I had a chance to make an offer 😡 Oh well, tons of nice rigs out there...
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national, quality, replace