Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

How to put bleach into water tank?

Hi we have a 2006 Sea Breeze 8311
How can I put bleach into my water tank to sanitize it? Can you tell me how you’ve done this? It’s such a tight fit to the filling opening. I can get a hose in but my funnel won’t reach.
Do these come with an internal filter?
Thanks for the help
We are 8 days from blast off and trying to get it together
Oh and HAPPY FATHERS DAY!
Me_n_T.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
How to put bleach into water tank?

Fill your water hose with correct amount of bleach.
Connect hose, put into fill port then fill tank.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #3

That is how I do it also.

Go easy on the bleach. It doesn't take a lot to make the tank safe. Remember 'A little dab'll do ya'. I found this information:

Quote:
"To sanitize the water system use a quarter cup of household bleach for every fifteen gallons of water your fresh water tank holds."
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's best to dilute the bleach just a little before running it thru a hose because it can damage it or make it smell of chorine for a time. Dilute it at least 50/50 first then pour into hose.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a whole house water filter in the hose. Pour the bleach in the empty filter housing and then fill the tank.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I bought a brass garden hose siphon from Amazon. It hooks to a hose and sucks in the bleach water mixture. Search on garden hose siphon. It works very well and is much easier than trying to pour it into a hose.
Submustang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I've always used somewhere between 1/4 - 1/2 cup per 15 gallons and let it sit at least 12 hours, drain, partially fill, drain, and fill. Our motor homes had gravity fill inlets. For those I always mixed half of the required bleach in a gallon of water and dumped it in using a funnel with a flexible spout, usually dripping all over everything, then repeated with the second half of the bleach and finally filling with fresh water. I usually run some through all water lines and the water heater while it's filling. Our travel trailer has a pressure fill inlet so I've been using the hose method, but it's a pain in the neck. The hose won't hold a gallon of water, so it's fill the hose, hold the hose up so it drains, fill the hose, wash, rinse, repeat.... I've been looking for a better way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submustang View Post
I bought a brass garden hose siphon from Amazon. It hooks to a hose and sucks in the bleach water mixture. Search on garden hose siphon. It works very well and is much easier than trying to pour it into a hose.

Will have to look for one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I use a whole house water filter in the hose. Pour the bleach in the empty filter housing and then fill the tank.

Brilliant.

Tags
tank, water