Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #1

I keep getting questions about how to get the front overhead tube-type TV out of a National RV. This pertains to a 2005 Dolphin, but probably is similar for near model years since National probably adopted one set of fixtures for several models.
The TV is hung from the overhead framework by a steel cage that has a removable bottom tray. The trick is to get to the cage. The front wood trim, or fascia, is a single piece that needs to come off. There is one screw in the top center fascia piece that screws into the ceiling. Remove that. Remove any putty caulk that is between the fascia and the side cabinets. Open the side cabinet doors, and you will see two hole plugs that cover recessed screws that screw in from the side cabinet trim frame sideways into the fascia (two each side). Remove the plugs and then the screws.
The fascia should now be loose and can be pulled forward at the bottom and dropped down from a slot in the ceiling. Now the steel cage will be exposed. Remove the plastic panel that is under the TV (above the dash). Reach in the back to unscrew the antenna connection from the TV. Unplug the TV from the power outlet in the upper right equipment cabinet and pull the wire plug free into the space behind the TV.
There are three bolts on each side of the bottom of the cage holding the bottom tray on. The clearance is tight but the bolts can be accessed. Loosen the two nearest the windshield (rear of TV). Remove the center two bolts and one front bolt. Now get help and remove the other front bolt. The TV needs to drop down at its front, and then is lifted off the tray. It is 100# plus, so plan accordingly.
This is the info provided directly from a NRV tech before they went under. Good luck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #2

I keep getting questions about how to get the front overhead tube-type TV out of a National RV. This pertains to a 2005 Dolphin, but probably is similar for near model years since National probably adopted one set of fixtures for several models.
The TV is hung from the overhead framework by a steel cage that has a removable bottom tray. The trick is to get to the cage. The front wood trim, or fascia, is a single piece that needs to come off. There is one screw in the top center fascia piece that screws into the ceiling. Remove that. Remove any putty caulk that is between the fascia and the side cabinets. Open the side cabinet doors, and you will see two hole plugs that cover recessed screws that screw in from the side cabinet trim frame sideways into the fascia (two each side). Remove the plugs and then the screws.
The fascia should now be loose and can be pulled forward at the bottom and dropped down from a slot in the ceiling. Now the steel cage will be exposed. Remove the plastic panel that is under the TV (above the dash). Reach in the back to unscrew the antenna connection from the TV. Unplug the TV from the power outlet in the upper right equipment cabinet and pull the wire plug free into the space behind the TV.
There are three bolts on each side of the bottom of the cage holding the bottom tray on. The clearance is tight but the bolts can be accessed. Loosen the two nearest the windshield (rear of TV). Remove the center two bolts and one front bolt. Now get help and remove the other front bolt. The TV needs to drop down at its front, and then is lifted off the tray. It is 100# plus, so plan accordingly.
This is the info provided directly from a NRV tech before they went under. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. Great instructions. Will attack this very soon. Thanks again.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The link below was posted about a year ago. Instructions and pictures.

http://mysite.verizon.net/merkelck/fronttv/
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #5

I did not know about the pictures in above link before I started, but they do help clarify. I did not have to drill holes in the plastic underskirt to get to the cage bolts. You can get a box end in there and "wiggle" it 1/12 turn at a time. I didn't say it was easy.
Before mounting any LCD set solidly in place, do a test view from your normal seating position. You will likely find the LCD has to be tilted down more than the stock set to get the best viewing brightness.
As for insulating behind the forward cap, I used encapsulated fiberglass batting and taped the ends shut. Worked like a pillow.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #6

One good thing about this forum is that you can start a posting by saying....don't do it like I did. Two2go's instructions were very valuable, but in my 04 dolphin the TV was in slightly different. There was no screw at the top of the fascia, but there are two on each side that were cleverly hidden. The plug blended in and were difficult to spot. Two of them were behind the latch. Also, and this turned out to be a big thing, there was a bracket that is at the top of the TV that I didn't see until I had the bottom tray removed and the TV still wouldn't come out. With the weight of the tv on this bracket it was very hard to get out since it is held in by two sheet metal screws that are put in from the side. The bracket was screwed to the top of the tv so it had to come out with the tv. Other than that two2go was pretty much right on. I did take his advice and was prepared for the weight of the tv, but instead of the weight lifter friend, I used a farm jack to support the weight and let the tv down to a point where it was manageable. Good luck. The best advice that I can give is to take your time and look for that hidden attachment, it seems that they are all basically the same, but have slight differences.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #7

I'm finally upgrading to an LCD. I looked into this a year ago and found that a 26" widescreen was the only TV that would fit. However, I just purchased a Sharp 32" (actually a 31.5") with a narrow bezel that measures 30.5" wide. It is a near perfect fit for my cabinet opening. I've found this TV to be 1" less width than all other manufactures and the only 32" that fits the opening.

I should have the installation completed this weekend. I'll post some pictures of the completed project. As of now I've managed to get the old heavy tube TV out.
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #8

Please do keep us posted. Lots of luck.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #9

Completed! I finished the installation of my new Sharp 32" LCD TV. It replaced the original 27" tube TV. The exciting part for me is a 32" is much larger than a 26" wide screen TV and except for the Sharp, no other TV's will fit the opening. The Sharp is a perfect fit allowing a much larger viewing size and requires no facia plate to cover the unused area when upgrading to a 26" LCD. I'll post some pictures in the photo section for all to see.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike,
Could you provide the model # for the TV.
Looks Good
Old 10-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #11

Hi Richard,

Thanks! Mine is from Costco model number is LC-32SB21, $499

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=112936...g=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Costco also has a 32" Sharp Aquos for $649. It is exactly the same dimensions as are many other Sharp models of this size. I've seen them at Walmart and Circuit City. Sharp lists the length at 30 9/16 wide which fit the interior of my cabinet perfectly. Height wise I have some room to spare. The old tube TV went into a cut in the ceiling, hidden by the cabinet. The LCD goes to slightly under the ceiling line and I positioned mine about 1.5" above the metal shelf the tube TV was supported by. The cabinet cut out reveals about an extra half inch height which I left on the bottom so as not to interfere with the speakers.

Thanks for posting your instructions. I had gone shopping looking to get the Samsung 26" which I thought to be the best fit given the extra width from the side speaker location. I had looked about a year ago and found all the 32" were too wide. I believe the Sharp models were not available when I first looked. I stumbled across them and realized they are 1" narrower than the other manufacturers sets.

I'm very pleased with the results.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike,
The instructions and photos were not mine, I just saved them from about a year ago.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #13

WalMart has an Emerson 32" that is listed at 30-1/2 wide at under $500. Probably not the quality of the Sharp, but may be an option for some. I wish my old RCA had held on a little longer, as the replacement choices are better now. My 26" is OK, but these 32" sets are now the same price as my 26" was.
I am interested to see if Mike H tilted his screen down some.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #14

I maintained the same downward angle as the original TV & cabinet for aesthetic purposes. TV seems to have a wide viewing angle and picture looks very good from anywhere in the coach.

I looked at the Emerson too but it was only about $20 less than the Sharp and the image quality did not seem comparable to the Sharp. Walmart sells a Sharp as well but the pricing was better at Costco by almost $150.