Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2023, 03:46 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Red face Howdy all. Of course I am asking for advice aka help

In January I purchased a 1997 NR Dolphin class A with all the bells and whistles. She has a little over 41K miles on her, the interior looks never used and is kitschy which I love. I paid $8,500 for this loveable beast. I upgraded from a 1969 Go Tag A Long 18 foot camper on trailer and it was pretty primitive but got the job done.

Her first stop was a Ford engine repair shop to have the 2027 Ford F530 motor checked out. She passed with flying colors other than the windshield washer reservoir which had a rock go through the grill and bust a hole in it, easy to fix and I am going to put something behind the open grill to keep this from happening again.

From there she went to Camping World (yes I now know that this was a huge mistake) I asked for their 45-point inspection and the slide out inspection this covered all of the important parts. I did tell them to forgo the generator as fuel was left sitting in it and I know how to clean the carburetor, it wanted to kick over but just couldn't quite seal the deal.

The first thing they hit me with was a new roof. I have since learned that this is SOP with CW. They had a laundry list of what I now know are routine maintenance items such as sludge in the hot water heater. When I picked her up from the Ford facility to move her to CW I noticed that my horn and blinkers were no longer working. I was told that I needed a new flasher relay the cost was to be 1/2 hour of labor plus the part. I need my blinkers to work to pass the Highway Patrol inspection since I have an out-of-state title. Yesterday I finally got a call that she is ready to be picked up, they have had her for a month, BUT my blinkers are not working I asked if they checked the fuses and bulbs, crickets started chirping from the silence. I asked for a service dept. supervisor to call me which has yet to happen.

CW stated that all of the power was great and the 3 solar panels are even working then they stated that I need a new converter.

Apparently, it will be Monday before I hear from anyone and when it is confirmed that a member of upper management is on-site I am driving over there. What could possibly be wrong? What suggestions can I offer?

I have my first trip planned for May and have yet to get her home to get all cleaned up and stocked for a month-long trip South where I have friends who will help me with a few repairs such as installing the slideout awning.

Thank y'all so very much in advance for tips and advice. Also, any recommendations on a converter/inverter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Michelle

PS: On the driver's window is there a way to slide the screen to the side so that I can pay tolls, talk to police, etc.?
dolphindrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2023, 04:05 PM   #2

Were you alone when the cash register kept totaling higher?
Old 04-01-2023, 04:17 PM   #3

Hope your Dolphin works out great. The window screen normally will slide in a track, but may need a little lubricant and encouragement. I do not know anything about your specific motorhome, but most screens will slide, especially if it is a sliding window.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Were you alone when the cash register kept totaling higher?
I have not been back in person all communication has been by phone BUT when I do go in next week to find out the purpose of the flasher relay and why I still don't have blinkers or a horn I will be taking hubby. I am the one to fear out of the two of us.

After thinking about it the prudent move is to call the corporate office before I do anything else. I have a CW printout of the charges for the 45-point check and slide-out check. They don't have a method of payment on file either AND the young lady at the counter failed to get my signature authorizing the checks I requested. The blinker repair was done over the phone and I first asked for an actual quote, not an estimate, it took two weeks to get the quote.

Why is everyone out to put the screws to you? Do they really think I am going to pay for a part that did not fix the problem?
Old 04-01-2023, 05:43 PM   #5

Sorry for your troubles.

Find a reliable Mobile RV Mechanic. Perhaps a local RV shop can work on it for you. Best of luck getting on the road.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:29 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I think that I have figured out the problem. When the Ford place "test drove" the RV they hit the mother of all potholes, we are talking roads in KC, MO. The alignment is probably now jacked up which caused my steering wheel to go wonky and after much reading through the forums, the wiring for the blinkers and horn are in the steering column and chances are good that all of the wires got pinched.

Now to get the Ford place to own up to their error. The only other person I have to vouch for the condition prior to the Ford mechanic is the lot where I purchased the RV.

I just want to travel and fish not fight with all of these fools.

Tags
advice