Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hydraulic jack pump Question

I am newbee to rving. We did own a pull behind camper for a few years just to take to the Dover NASCAR race. We meet some friends who both have class A’s. This summer we bought a 2000 34’ Seabreeze and love it (as soon as we got most of the bugs out).
I still have a problem with left rear jack. It won’t come the whole way up. I have been able to get it up by putting a jack under it and continually hitting the ‘Jacks Up’ button. I want to check the fluid level but don’t know where the main reservoir is. Could someone help me with the location of this?
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Knowing your chassis builder would help, however, most likely up front in the engine compartment. The jack rams can be sprayed with silicone to ease the operation. I spray mine several times a year, just because.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And, conversely, I have never sprayed an HWH ram and we're on our third MH with them and 12 model years with this one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And, conversely, I have never sprayed an HWH ram and we're on our third MH with them and 12 model years with this one.
Yes, but these are PowerGear Jacks.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RTFM.. (read the factory manual) Likely it speaks of lubricating the jacks by spraying with Silicon spary....

now many REAR jacks (And some front) have a ZERK fitting, a shot of White Lithium grease in the zerk can help too. (In which case you can leave off the spray)

Really helps on mine.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
It is a Ford chassis with ‘Power Gear” jacks. I can’t see any grease zerks on the jacks. I have been spraying them with heavy duty silicone each time I use them.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Knowing your chassis builder would help, however, most likely up front in the engine compartment. The jack rams can be sprayed with silicone to ease the operation. I spray mine several times a year, just because.

Fred
Fred and Gerryl
Depending upon the coach the jack pump/reservoir could be most anywhere......(on my coach it is on the curb side, rear of the mid-entry door).

I suspect that Gerryl has a weak, broken or missing jack "retracting spring".

BTW, RVA, (the maker of my jacks), recommends lubricating the extended jacks with WD-40.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The pump and reservoir will be in front of the radiator on the passenger side. Just in case you don't have I have attached the service manual for the jack. There is a trouble shooting guide in it.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jacks service_manual.pdf (2.22 MB, 51 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Thank You

Thanks for the replies and the Service manual. Will get to checking it out as soon as the weather breaks here in Lancaster County Pa.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 2006 Tropical, Power Gear cylinders have a grease jerk at the lower end of the cylinder. Grease fixed a similar problem I had. It is often overlooked by service personnel.

RV Rehder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #11

Older Power gear cylinders don't have the zerk. Something else to look at is the hydraulic valve at the pump, if it isn't opening (possible corrosion on the connector? or stuck valve) you won't get full retraction. The fact that you can pump it up, however, would indicate that you have a spring problem. My rear levelers have internal springs, if they break you have to have it rebuilt.
1oldMarine is offline   Reply With Quote