Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Improving 2000 Seabreeze headlights ????

We have only driven our Seabreeze twice after dark. Last week was one of those times. It was like driving with the old Amish headlights. Now the Amish use LEDs and even theirs are way brighter than the low beams on my coach. I know that my lights are set to the proper angle, but they are very dim at low beam.
I know that the headlights are the same as was used on 1985 to 2005 Chevy Astro Vans but don't know if changing out the bulbs to LEDs will give the needed improvement.

My question is, has anyone had success changing out their lights to give yourselves a better view of the road at night?

And if you did, what did you use?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

JMHO: First things first , check the voltage supplied to the bulbs with the engine running and look closely at the gauge of wire being used to supply power to the bulbs. You should see full alternator volts at the bulb plugin . Then check the ground wiring from that plug , should have zero ohms resistance to the chassis frame .
Many headlight issues can be cured by installing a power relay and heavier wiring to the bulb.
I was having issues with , my fuel gauge reading 1/4 tank high when the lights were on . Lights and fuel tank sending unit shared a ground wire in the factory harness, and cleaning the ground stud made no difference. Rewiring the lights with their own grounds did the trick.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #3

A search here at irv2.com will find tons of information....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/my-p...ts-205068.html

In other posts you've I see you have a Ford chassis. The above thread talks about's Ford's poor answer for crappy wiring. You don't need to check your voltage. It's low, I guarantee it. Add relay(s), it will help.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
A search here at irv2.com will find tons of information....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/my-p...ts-205068.html

In other posts you've I see you have a Ford chassis. The above thread talks about's Ford's poor answer for crappy wiring. You don't need to check your voltage. It's low, I guarantee it. Add relay(s), it will help.
Thank you for that quick reply and that link. That is a long and very informative thread. Looks like there is no easy fix for this. Guess I'll just do like most others do and make sure I am there before it gets dark.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't give up just yet.......We used Flitz on our dim, yellowed headlights and it helped, a lot. Flitz Polish | Car Wax | Gun, Knife and Boat Polish | Metal Polish
Old 09-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking at the website...it is the 1.76 oz tube. Polish......BP03511. Not a kit or other stuff.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Scooter, but my lenses are not yellowed or hazy, It's just that they don't seem to be putting out enough light. I think that National just didn't use a good enough headlamp assembly.
I love the quality of the Nationals, but I think they missed the boat on the lights.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
On my 2007 F53 Sea Breeze LX I had the same headlight issues! With good plastic on the lens assemblies, I re-wired the headlights using relays and mostly 12 gauge wire and a couple of pieces of 10 gauge! I also eliminated some of the Ford / National 16/18 gauge wiring! I also installed Silver Star bulbs and now the night time lighting is pretty acceptable! It could always be better but one heck of a bunch more light now! I also installed a 3rd relay so that the lows stay on with high beams...
Old 09-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Just put new LED headlights on my Tradewinds and it made a HUGE difference. My headlights sucked bad, and this worked very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Whiskyradio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, seabreeze