Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #1

In Progress: Desk Build into 2006 Tradewinds

Just wanted to show some pics of our desk build in progress by From Trees to These.

Greg is building the desk to my design and also modifying the Tv area to house the computers.

I'll post more pics when it's all finished.

The desk is in the place of the dining room table. The top is Zebrawood veneer. It will have a natural finish. The fronts and side of the drawers will be cherry to match the rest of the coach. It should make a very striking look. My wife and I will be working here while we are living on the road.

In addition to this we are have the big box where the old tube tv used to be converted to house our laptops. They will be behind the flat screen tv that is mounted on a hinge. We will have cooling fans in the box to make sure the heat from the computers is blown out.
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You show me yours I'll show you mine.

Nice work. I know you will be happy with the finish product and the utility you get from it's use.

Here is ours I designed and built.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV desk 4.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	807.4 KB
ID:	52939

Name:	RV desk 6.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	879.9 KB
ID:	52940

Keep the pictures coming, it is great to see these modifications.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to rescue595
Beautiful work to you both!
rescue595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

Update - More images

Stained and Installed. Still waiting on the door hardware and some other parts.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Really nice, so does the table just detach for storage when traveling? What are the clever vertical spaces on each side of the door, is this storage?

I certainly like the lining in the drawers and the computer slide out. Your choice of wood is striking.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

The center table can slide in or detach for travel. It fits in the storage drawer under the couch. We needed it to detach because the walkway to the back of the coach is narrow with all the slides in.

The vertical spaces are for storage. We have a large format printer with large paper and I have a large digital drawing tablet for my work that we will keep there.

I designed the desk and worked with From Trees to These to flush out the details. My wife and I drove all over town to come up with an idea for the top. We wanted something cool looking but lightweight. We settled on a veneer from Sauer woodworking. Providing wood veneer sheets, wood veneers, raw wood veneers, dyed veneers for 40 years! | Wood Veneers, Dyed Veneers, Wood veneer sheets, Edge banding, domestic veneers, hobby packs

Here is a pic of the CAD design

Old 01-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing I did poorly on mine was to plan for outlets and access to things like USB, cable etc.

I appreciate the thread because ever the tinkerer I have been considering taking mine out for a rebuild or modifications. I never considered having the table fit into the sliding drawer under the sofa. We keep our ironing board there so it would mean some adjustments in our storage arrangements.

Mine houses our lap top computer and printer and a drawer for paper and supplies ink etc behind the doors on the far left. The center has two large drawers for kitchen items, and the far right doors hide drawers for folders and work and personal papers and files etc and a pencil drawer.

Obviously, I like your ideas and the project they did a bang up job for you. Congratulations.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
One thing I did poorly on mine was to plan for outlets and access to things like USB, cable etc.

I appreciate the thread because ever the tinkerer I have been considering taking mine out for a rebuild or modifications. I never considered having the table fit into the sliding drawer under the sofa. We keep our ironing board there so it would mean some adjustments in our storage arrangements.

Mine houses our lap top computer and printer and a drawer for paper and supplies ink etc behind the doors on the far left. The center has two large drawers for kitchen items, and the far right doors hide drawers for folders and work and personal papers and files etc and a pencil drawer.

Obviously, I like your ideas and the project they did a bang up job for you. Congratulations.
There is a lot more to this project. I'll post some pics this weekend. To the left of the desk is the tv cabinet. It used to have a very large tube tv. It has been removed and replaced with an led tv that is flush mounted on the front. The front is on a piano hinge and opens up to reveal shelves for our computers a hard drives etc.

Also inside the cabinet below the desk is a 120 outlet and power strip. The desk is set away from the windows a bit so the wires can run behind the desk and into the cabinet from the back.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
There is a lot more to this project. I'll post some pics this weekend. To the left of the desk is the tv cabinet. It used to have a very large tube tv. It has been removed and replaced with an led tv that is flush mounted on the front. The front is on a piano hinge and opens up to reveal shelves for our computers a hard drives etc.

Also inside the cabinet below the desk is a 120 outlet and power strip. The desk is set away from the windows a bit so the wires can run behind the desk and into the cabinet from the back.

Since mine is enclosed I left the back and dividers open using half lap joints for strength and saving weight. I can access clear to the wall or any where along the interior so I can move wires around pull things through the space against the wall similar to yours etc. But I would be better served with some outlets up top and front. I'll be looking forward to more pictures.

CAD drawings, hmmm I did mine on a napkin. I like yours better.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #10

I came across these when researching my desk.

They are mad by belkin. I considered using them to add USB ports but I decided I didn't want to have holes in the desk top because of the way the zebra wood looks.

Maybe these might help you. http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...grometgear.jpg

We will have a hidden wire system when it is all finished.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
00wabbit:
How does the table fasten to the desk? Does it fold down or does it store against the wall under the unit?
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #12

That really is nice looking and functional. Tell me baout the single table leg. Is it on a hinge that folds down for storage, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
Update - More images

Stained and Installed. Still waiting on the door hardware and some other parts.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
That really is nice looking and functional. Tell me baout the single table leg. Is it on a hinge that folds down for storage, Thanks

Yes, the single leg is on a hinge. We can either slide the extension into the desk to shorten it quit a bit when the slides are in, or we can remove the table and fold up the leg. We made sure that it would fit in the storage bin under the couch when we remove it. With the extension removed all you see is a slot up high under the desk top.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Here is what mine looks like!
We use it as a pantry so we have full extension drawers on both sides of the table. We also have an 18 inch leaf to allow the table to seat four.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	All done.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	53516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	53517  

MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote