Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Talking Inner Slide Flange and Seal

My entire adult life I have been cursed with the affliction that I would look at some broken or worn out item and think "the price is right and I can fix that" or " I can change that and make it work".
I suspect a bunch of you have the same illness...
We decided to remove the fabric cover from the aft slide flange and do it in Maple. There have been recent posts about inner seal issues, so I thought I would post some pictures and information. And, since this is a design and build that will take a few days, if anybody wants more information or other pictures, just ask and I will do it!
The inner cover is made of 1/4 inch plywood. There were several long brads thru the inner edge into the flange. Since I didn't want to save it, I split the fabric and pried the inner edge free. The face was held on by several screws run in at about a 45 degree angle thru the back of the flange. Somebody had small hands to install them. You could never remove them to save the cover. The flange is a piece of 3/4 inch plywood covered with Dicor rubber roof material. It is screwed to the edge of the slide with self tapping screws. The Dicor is stapled in place with some really tough staples. They were pretty much impossible to pull so I cut the Dicor at each staple to pull it back and get at the screws on the back side of the flange. There is plenty of material to reattach it. No adhesive was used on anything. The long horizontal piece is two pieces with a 4" gap in the middle. The wood is screwed to the slide edge and the dicor material that is on top of the slide comes in and is wrapped up and over the wood flange. Not a bad idea really. If water gets under the seal it can only run down the edges and not drip on you in the middle of a cold dark rainy night! You will just step in it getting up for your potty run!
The fuzzy stuff on the inside also extends around and up the top flange to create a seamless gap.
I am going to replace all of the flange wood. National used lots of decent stuff, but the skill of some of their installers is lacking.
Everybody seemed to possess a semi automatic staple gun or two and an unlimited supply of self tapping screws in lengths long and longer. The torque setting in the screw gun chuck was about 4 notches too strong and drilling pilot holes was not in the plan!
Sooo... If anybody wants more information, just ask!
regards
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	44991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	44992  

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	44993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	44994  

MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #2

Good stuff, Mike. Thank you.
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I finally installed my new fascia so I thought I'd close this thread out!
We are happy... NO FABRIC!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	46720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	46721