Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

Inside EMS display panel circuit board went out

i have a 99 seaview model 8310 30 amp circuit with a factory ems display
panel in my hallway of motorhome. this display panel is made to tell me
how many amps my coach is pulling when i have a/c or microwave on etc,
it also had a built in circuit protector. so if the a/c and microwave were on
and it was getting close to the 30 amp limit it would shut down the a/c to
keep from blowing a circuit. it worked pretty well and i always knew how
many amps i was using.

problem is the circuit board went out in the unit and now the display just
reads 0 amps all the time no matter what i have turned on in the coach.

i called ems and talked to the technician and he said the circuit board went
out and since it was old and original 1999 they do not make these units
anymore and he said he did not know of any other manufacture that made
this type of display panel??

does anyone know of a manufacture that makes a display panel that reads
out the amps on the electrical system? i would like to get another display
panel or a new circuit board. but dont know who sells this kind of product?

any help is greatly appreciated thanks for any information
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 06:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
First, it would help to know the make and model of the EMS display. But I’m gowing to take a stab at it being a Powerline by Intellic. That was the most common one of that vintage.

Next question, since none of the lights display what circuits are available AND your amp meter doesn’t display, how do you know it’s the circuit board in the display?

If the pickup in either the main line or distribution pane somehow gets disconnected it won’t read anything either.

Also, have you checked out that the board is getting 12v incoming power.

And lastly, the display is not working but does the EMS still turn appliances off like it is supposed to. I would run a test on a 20 or 30 amp shore power with an induction amp meter and see if the EMS is working.

And lastly, I assume you have had it out, so you can get numbers off the back. They rarely fail as all they do is display. So you should be able to find a used one in an RV salvage yard. They are pretty small so shipping should not be an issue.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #3

thank u amosnandy for your response.

i assume that the unit is getting 12v to it as the display is reading 0? i unplugged it at
the panel and then replugged it back in and it still reads 0 at the display panel.
it is not working or shutting any appliance down when the appliance is turned on?

i will try and get a model number off of the unit. i believe that the circuit board at the
display panel has gone out or the circuit board at the circuit breaker box inside at the
back of the motorhome has gone out?? i dont know how to test the circuit boards and
probably like u said the easiest fix would be to find another unit at a salvage yard?

unless i can find a company that makes a display panel that shows the amps used
when my appliances are turned on? dont know if anyone makes a unit like this?

thanks for your input and i will maybe try a salvage yard or else just live with it and
not worry about my amperage readout. if i exceed my limit i guess it wil just pop the
breaker? again thanks for your help.
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:35 AM   #4

You may also try the National RV site they still carry parts for are age RV.
Samuangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:18 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Give circuit board medics a call or text see if they can help.
https://circuitboardmedics.com/
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, panel