Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #15

OK, I'm just waiting on supper here , but IF my old eyes are working correctly ,
the message center and gauges are grounded to the VDC and then the VDC is grounded directly to the chassis batteries. I'll check the VDC pin out later .
So with a high ohm reading then I'd go to the chassis battery and check any small gauge wires for poor connections at the ground cable. Or look for a ground stud if there are no small wires at the battery.

More after dinner.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
the message center and gauges are grounded to the VDC and then the VDC is grounded directly to the chassis batteries...
That got me thinking I may be checking the VDC contacts incorrectly. Looking at the pinouts for its J2 (Page 13 table 4) chassis ground is pin-J but the ground test procedure was on pin-G. I unplugged the connector so I could use probe the pin--- but that means *I* disconnected the chassis ground. There is not enough space from the back side of the connector to insert a probe, how does one test the pin while it is still connected??
mgambalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #17

I have a new air filter waiting to be installed , and the VDC is right beside it , I'll be in the coach tomorrow replacing the drivers area carpet with tile , I'll check the connectors for a way to " back probe " the connectors.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #18

I got a couple on mins and looked at the VDC connectors , the larger , with all white wires , the connector housing back half is a clam shell , held together by four small plastic pins two on either side of the tapered section .
Prying the pins side ways will release the clam shell portion , and opening it would allow insertion of a sewing needle to contact the wiring connector to back probe for testing .

While I was there , I noticed that the ground wire for the VDC runs outside of the main harness; single black wire ; and off in the direction of the battery tray , confirming in part what I saw in the wiring schematic.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I got a couple on mins and looked at the VDC connectors...
Thank You, your insight is invaluable. Now that I know how the tests are properly performed, I started over today -- connectors plugged in, back testing -- and have Totally different readings.
Using the extension cord, I verified continuity of the harness between MC-15 pin-8 and VDC-J2 pin-G.

Page-7 Step 2: Check for 12v at MC-15(8) and VDC-J2(G). I have .3v at both, do I assume correctly that counts as "no voltage"? It appears the MC is bad.

Once again, thanks for correcting me. I feel like I have worked as an apprentice with a master looking over my shoulder.
mg
Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgambalie View Post
T
Once again, thanks for correcting me. I feel like I have worked as an apprentice with a master looking over my shoulder.
mg
I'd prefer the term cheerleader .
Hope we've worked our way to the correct conclusion .
I wish the schematics and diagrams that I got from Freightliner when I purchased my coach were good for all , side and rear rad coaches of our era , it would make life SO much easier, just to be able to share them .

For now I have to get onto DTNA Connect ( Daimler Trucks North America) and figure out why they suspended my access to their computer system for parts for my coach ; looking for motor mounts. Perhaps I've told too many people to get onto DTNA and phone the free help line , and they're out to stop me.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
I never had success with the online request but when I was in the city the local Freightliner facility set it up for me. Perhaps I didn't know how to properly use it, but I could never find what I was looking for on their site. About a year ago, I got an email that my account was "disabled due to inactivity".
Old 06-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgambalie View Post
About a year ago, I got an email that my account was "disabled due to inactivity".
Likewise , I got onto the system when it was Access Freightliner ,8 years go , downloaded all the wiring info , then didn't use the system for about 3 years.
I e mailed and had it re-instated , then while trying to keep it operational by visiting every 60 days , came up against an " account suspended " message ; that I'll deal with soon .
Today I'm putting down leveling compound , on the drivers/passengers floor to prepare the front floor area for vinyl floor tiles. 20 year old carpet just plain worn out at the top of the steps, and under my feet at drivers seat .
Just another fun day of RV ownership.

Tags
panel