Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Insulating Front Cab Overhead.

I remember reading some time ago that a NRV technition suggested putting insulation in behind the TV/Overhead Cabinet area.
I was looking to do it yesterday and just wonder how you would go about doing this. Do I have to remove the TV in order to gain access??
Thanks in advance, Eugene.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #2

When I replaced my TV I could reach most of the areas that were just open to the fiberglass roof and front cap. I secured the wiring that was just laying around up there (Wires to clearence lights, speaker wires, TV cable, 110 to power tv ect ect ect. I picked up some fiberglass insulation with the foil backing and using spray contact adhesive I began securing the material to the roof and cap areas that I could reach. I then stuffed insulation with a short stick into areas I could not reach. Do not pack it in, try to keep it lose for full value. It helps a good bit and was worth the work. I also have a reflective sunvisor I put up sometimes between the shades and windshield. I have the 90% uv blocker outside windshield covers, but sometimes in the late evening the sun really gets hot if I am facing the west so I use the reflective shield also.

Safety Note: ware gloves and eye protection when working with the insulation. If you use the 3M or anyother spray adhesive have very good ventilation while using.

Hope this helps you out.

George
Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
If you've already swapped the 80lb+ CRT-type TV with a flat panel model, it wouldn't be "that big of a deal", if not you might consider replacing the TV while you are at it if the insulation is that important to you. Search the National forum on replacing the front TV for instruction on removal and installation options (or email me directly and I'll send you what I have accumulated).
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I should have known, it's obvious I'll have to take out the TV, ours is a later LED type, so I won't be replacing it, I'll do a search here on the removal and installing to get pointers in order to gain access to the area, since insulating has been on my todo list for some time. Thanks everyone. Eugene.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
In insulating a house, RV or anything, the paper or foil cover side should go to the area that is heated because it is suppose to be a vapor barrier. You can also use unfaced insulation. I would not glue anything to anything because that area is where maintenance may have to take place. And, yes the TV must come out because the opening behind it is not very large. Should have 2 or 3 screws on bottom or one side and then lifts up. Should have several wires attached so be careful especially if the wires are not very long. Have not done mine yet, but that is a job on my agenda also. My father-in-law and brother-in-law were contractors and I have seen them insulate many houses.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The easy way to add insulation in that area is to use a spray contact adhesive. Cut your pieces of insulation to fit and mark them. Spray the back side of the cap and the insulation as per the adhesive directions. The press them into place.

With that insulation, I would not bother much with a moisture barrier unless you can completely seal the moisture barrier with a tape on the seams and edges.

A layer of the bubble foil like Refltex would help a lot.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you (cutrell01) I am aware of home construction and vapor barrier's, but I was planning on using Refltex bubble type, as TXiceman mentioned, and if more room putting in some pink layered insulation without stuffing it. Now if I can just find a tread indicating the removal of the TV. Thanks everyone, Eugene.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to this link. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/lcd-...-x-117797.html This was my project and included insulating the front cap. I used a denim product sold by Home Depot. They only sell it on-line in Southern California.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #9

I bought a roll of encapsulated fiberglass insulation. Just like regular 3" thick wall insulation except completely wrapped in poly plastic. I cut a length to extend side to side and stuffed it against the front (without compressing). It stays in place with a little duct tape support along with a sub-woofer sitting against it that I installed behind the TV. Lots of space after I removed the old fossil tube. The insulation helps a lot.