Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Intellitec EMS and 2 ACs

I am currently camping in Dauphin Island, Al. in our 99 Tropical and in very hot weather I cannot keep both AC units on at the same time. I have no additional electrical appliances on. When I turn them both on the EMS shows 28 amps. Over the next 3 to 5 minutes it creeps to 29 and 30 and shuts off one of the AC units. Any ideas?
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

Do you have your EMS set on 30 AMPS? are you plugged into 50 AMPS. If that's the case it starts sheding loads at 30 AMPS. Turn your EMS off or set it to 50AMPS unless that's what your plugged into.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Mine is a 30 amp system and it is set to 30 amps, not 20.
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #4

Do you have low voltage? The lower the voltage the higher the amp draw. Two AC's should only pull about 12 amps on one leg. You say your pulling 30 amps on two legs. Does anything show voltage? Should be at least 220 to 240. Anythere thing is are both ac's wired to the same leg?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #5

I meant 12 amps on each leg. You should have two legs of power coming in.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
30 amp systems will only have 1 hot leg (black), one neutral (white) and a ground (green)and should read 110 volts +/_ 10v between the black and white.

Do you have a central system or two separate roof mounted units. How long is your extension cord, a long cord will cause a voltage drop. Next would be, what size are your units.

Will they run on the generator, if so how many amps do they draw. This could tell you if the problem is with your electrical or one of your units.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
The hotter it gets outside the harder you AC has to work so the more AMPS it will pull. Use the shortest cord possible to prevent voltage drop as this will also increase the current draw. Also I have seen worn out 30amp outlets that do not make good contact so I use my 50amp to 30amp adapter and use the 50amp outlet. I still only get 30amps to MH but less voltage drop do to a better connection.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Do you have your EMS set on 30 AMPS? are you plugged into 50 AMPS. If that's the case it starts sheding loads at 30 AMPS. Turn your EMS off or set it to 50AMPS unless that's what your plugged into.
I guess I have another new to RV question my panel can be set for I think 20, and for sure 30, and 50 amps reading your post leads me to believe if I set it at the 30 amp range then things will automatically start shutting down when it gets to that amount so as not to overload the circuit. I ask because no own explained to me why you could set the system you were on when the coach was picked up or if they did it went over my head.

Thank you for the information.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
John, you can download a manual from Intellitec that explains operation.

On mine, when you plug into power post, the system will detect voltage. If 110v then the system will default to 30 amp, you would have to change it to 20 amp if thats what you have available.
If it senses 240 volt then it automatically sets it for 50 amp.
If you start the generator it automatically senses that by a connection to the generator run light and timer.

On 20 or 30 amp, when the max is reached, it will begin shedding loads, On mine its water heater, #2 ac compressor, refrigerator and I forget what the other is.

Also I may add that the meter only works when on 20 or 30 amp or Generator. No ammeter reading when on 50 amp.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
YC1

If you are using a 30 amp outlet be sure to put refer on propane and not elect. Also be sure the HWH is on propane only. Once you download the operations manual for the ems and study it for about two days (not really but it is amazing) then you should turn your charging system down to minimum as well. You are absolutely running on the ragged edge with 30 amps. In some cases I just start the generator and use that on incredibly hot days. Everyone is running the AC's and won't hear my quiet 8000 running.
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been hooked up to a power pole all of two times in my life not counting it being plugged in to a wall outlet in the shop over the winter to keep the batteries charged.

When I questioned the workings of this above it was because it was one of those questions that needed answering but I did not even know enough to think about asking until I saw it here.

Now the worse part is all I had to do was open the sack with all the booklets, papers, and instructions I got when I Bought it and there it was for the reading.

Thank you both.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As pressure in the lines builds, as the system "Warms up" pressure builds, current increases.

Now, on 30 amps, I"m surprised you are able to run them both.. The EMS should be shedding at around 25-27 amps, not at 30.

Recommendation: Power Solutions

In many parks you can "Cheat a bit".. unlike the common "Cheater box" which has two 30 amp plugs and one 50 amp outlet,, and which is generally useless becuse the 20 amp outlet (The cheater box comes with an adapter for 15 amp on one leg) is GFCI protected and the box will trip the GFCI 100% of the time.

It completly isolates one ir conditioner, NO common ground, No common neutral, So no tripping of the GFCI. Works great.... I made my own.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my basement air, the fans draw 3 amps and the compressors draw 9 amps each for a total of 21 amps.
I have a parasitic draw of 1 amp. Just time I turn on the microwave or water heater it drops out #2 compressor.