Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #1

Interconnect solenoid picking and dropping

Hello:
I have a 2001 National Tropical 38 ft gas mh. I am camped on shore power. I notice that the solenoid with the coach and chassis battery is picking every 30-45 seconds. It reads 12.6 volts on each battery. There is a yellow and black wire going to the solenoid (Yellow 11.6 volts and black ground) Obviously somewhere on board is sending 11.6 volts to the solenoid to switch between coach and chassis battery. My manual has a schematic showing fuses and layout but does not show how this solenoid works? Anyone help?
g-cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The solenoid to connect the house and chassis batteries is triggered by charging voltage from your alternator (engine) or inverter/charger. 11.6 v isn't enough to overcome internal resistance, so that's not a real charging voltage, perhaps that's the issue. Try unplugging shore cord for an hour or two to allow house batteries to discharge a bit, then hook up shore power again and see how much voltage coming from your converter/charger then to bring house batteries back up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
This link should help explain things.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...41&app=WordPdf
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #4

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
This link should help explain things.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...41&app=WordPdf
Thank you very much for the link.
Schematics are perfect for my application. I did read yesterday function of potentiometer on left corner of board. It must set the threshold on the comparator circuit. It may have been dirty as I adjusted back and forth and the relay quit picking on solenoid. It is great to know charged voltage is 13.2 and charging starts at 12.2. I will look closer when I have some equipment

Thanks
g-cando is offline   Reply With Quote