Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Interior Cabinetry Upgrades

We love our Tradewinds LTC, but I always felt the Factory sort of forgot to maximize space utilization in the Salon along the passenger wall.
Sooo..... We made a few changes...
Starting at the door, I fabricated a new cabinet that moves the awning switches to the end where they can be utilized without being a contortionist!
We decided we only needed one drink holder, not two.
I also extended the furnace duct to get heat up in the windshield area so we are more comfortable when Arizona gets cold in the Winter.
Next in line is my version of the Islander Computer Cabinet, again with a furnace vent to heat this area better than a four inch round vent behind my recliner.
Next is a maple heat duct cover with a shelf on top for all my important stuff!
And finally a pantry with six drawers and an under table storage area we use for Booze. I also fabricated an eighteen inch leaf for the table, which I did by adding six inches to the piece I cut off to retain the original footprint with the new cabinet.
I put four a/c outlets in each cabinet. Two cell chargers, two pad chargers, a laptop power cable, my small table lamp, the dust buster charger and my indoor helicopter battery charger all need outlets!
On the drivers side we removed the couch and installed a recliner that my wife's back likes a whole lot better. The recliner is secured to the slide for safety. I fabricated a couple of cabinets to utilize the space left over.
The Corain was fun to do and now everything has matching tops!
I have posted some of these before, because this has been a three year project. Now that it is finished I thought I would post a complete set!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger Chair Cabinet.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	70160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Computer Table 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	70161  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat Duct.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	70162   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Pantry.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	70163  

MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #2

Great Job. I love the countertops thats next on my list.
I did a floor upgrade on my unit last year with some cabinet work looks better than the factory did!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=bef700a26f
Finelinevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #3

where did you get your Corain at

i keep trying to find it so i can make some parts as well but it seems to be hard to find
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Terry:
I got it from Corian Countertops | Discount Solid Surface Sheets. They are in Tucson. I don't know how the link appeared, the place is called Solid Surface!!!!
I spent almost two years looking around the LA Basin for a cabinet shop that had any in stock, with no luck. I found SS on the net one night. They are great to deal with. I made several purchases over a couple of years. Pieces are easy to glue together so I bought lots of pieces. After I placed one on-line order, they called me and asked if I was going to put them together into a bigger piece. I said yes and the caller said they would go thru their stock and make sure everything matched...
I have also done a couple of pieces not in the above pictures, and spent about $700.00 on material, adhesive and tips. I also spent $175.00 on a custom router bit to duplicate the lower profile.
You also need a special gun to dispense the adhesive, which is $40.00 a tube.
If you are not experienced with Corian, e-mail me and I will pass along any help I can. I was fortunate to have a friend who was certified. I got trained for free over a beer or three! It works just like wood!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRuth View Post
Terry:
I got it from Corian Countertops | Discount Solid Surface Sheets. They are in Tucson. I don't know how the link appeared, the place is called Solid Surface!!!!
I spent almost two years looking around the LA Basin for a cabinet shop that had any in stock, with no luck. I found SS on the net one night. They are great to deal with. I made several purchases over a couple of years. Pieces are easy to glue together so I bought lots of pieces. After I placed one on-line order, they called me and asked if I was going to put them together into a bigger piece. I said yes and the caller said they would go thru their stock and make sure everything matched...
I have also done a couple of pieces not in the above pictures, and spent about $700.00 on material, adhesive and tips. I also spent $175.00 on a custom router bit to duplicate the lower profile.
You also need a special gun to dispense the adhesive, which is $40.00 a tube.
If you are not experienced with Corian, e-mail me and I will pass along any help I can. I was fortunate to have a friend who was certified. I got trained for free over a beer or three! It works just like wood!
thanks for taking the time to add the info

i have worked with it befor and i like that it is like working with wood and most tools can be used to cut and work with it and still have that pro look with 1/2 the weight
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
look on cragislist i bought a whole kit and large center island for $50
made new counters tables night stands and more
also check kitchen shops installers i bought a second full kichen for $50
and made a full outdoor kitchen at our rv lot
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
That is awesome info. I want to do some work on my Pacifica which will include some new cabinetry as well as corian, mine has the blond wood like yours, is there a source for cabinetry? Even slab wood as we can work the wood if need be but if cabinets and doors/drawers are available somewhere just as well.

Thanks and nice work.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I made all the cabinets myself. If you are interested, I have some construction pictures I can share with you. I bought the doors from Barker Door online. Same with the drawer boxes in the pantry. I decided it was easier to buy them rather than spend the time making them. I also bought the furnace vent grills. I couldn't make them for $32.00 each!
My cabinets are Maple. I bought dimensioned lumber from a local Lumber yard and went from there. Home Depot and Lowes don't sell what you need.

Tags
upgrade