Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverter powered outlets

I have a 2005 Sea Brreze 8375 w/1000w inverter. I do not think the outlets on the nightstands in the BR are connected to the Inverter. How do I connect them so I can use my CPAP when we dry camp?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
I have a 2005 Sea Brreze 8375 w/1000w inverter. I do not think the outlets on the nightstands in the BR are connected to the Inverter. How do I connect them so I can use my CPAP when we dry camp?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Darryl,

It may not be an easy re wire.

Try using an extension cord to the outlet supplying power to the bedroom tv. It should/may be powered by the inverter branch circuit. Please be aware that the 1000 watts may not be sufficient to allow using the humidifier heater function of the CPAP.

Marty
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are not connected in my rig either, they are, however on the same circuit as something else.. So that's the first thing, Identify WHICH breaker feeds those outlets, find out what else is on it, and if nothing else move the wires for that breaker to the "Sub" panel or "Sub" section (Breaker and all)

Option 2; use a 12 volt CPAP and forget the inverter.. (BEST OPTION)
Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
Darryl,

It may not be an easy re wire.

Marty
Wa8yxm, You are are right, it is on the same branch circuit as something else.

Darryl,
In prior years to your 2005, NRV had split the branch circuit down stream from the ac distribution panel so that a low power inverter option was able to feed only the front and rear tv receptacles. This was how mine was configured.

Internal to that inverter was a transfer relay that allowed shore power to pass thru. Absence of shore power and with inverter allowed on was how only that part of the branch circuit provided ac. If yours is wired similarly, it may not be an easy/simple rewire to the nightstands.

I would still recommend an extension cord to the tv receptacle.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverter Powered Outlets

Thanks for the help, I think

It looks as though the options are:
  1. Use an extension cord from the outlet by the Co-Pilots seat
  2. Buy a 12V CPAP
As to the 1000 watt inverter powering the CPAP, I installed a 600 Watt inverter under the bed of my 1998 Dolphin and it ran the CPAP all night for me, and only drained the batteries slightly. 1000 Watts should handle it fine, but I am going to look for a 12v CPAP. Then I need to install a 12v outlet in the nightstand!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the help, I think

It looks as though the options are:
  1. Use an extension cord from the outlet by the Co-Pilots seat
  2. Buy a 12V CPAP
As to the 1000 watt inverter powering the CPAP, I installed a 600 Watt inverter under the bed of my 1998 Dolphin and it ran the CPAP all night for me, and only drained the batteries slightly. 1000 Watts should handle it fine, but I am going to look for a 12v CPAP. Then I need to install a 12v outlet in the nightstand!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
You should have inverter power at the outlet used for the bedroom tv !
You are correct about the load Darryl. I just measured my CPAP and found it draws less then 1/4 amp at 120 volts. The heater draws an additional 1/2 amp but cycles so the average is quite low. worst case is about 75 watts total.

My CPAP has a 12 volt plug port on the back of it. I don't have the cord for it but assume one is available.

Marty
Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Talking

Darryl...

I just hooked the wife's CPAP up to work in the bedroom.

We had no inverters and had to run the genny at night With that expense as an incentive, I was on a mission. It seems CPAPs are 12VDC and uses a converter so you can plug it into 120VAC. If your CPAP has a heated humidifier, then you need the 120VAC. However, that is usually an optional part.

I bought a 12VDC plug/cable for the CPAP and installed a 12VDC outlet in the overhead cabinet above her nightstand. <CPAP Machines> Now her CPAP is up and out of the way and works fine on 12VDC. She tested the CPAP without the heater and said it was no problem, especially that we rarely dry camp over 2 days in a row. I guess I could have just bought a portable inverter, but this was only $20.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Respironics M series CPAP with heated humidifier is only 12 volt. It came with a 120AC/12VDC converter. About 3 amps plain, and under 7amps with the 12volt heated humidifier on. The 12volt power plug/cord for RV use was extra. I also found that it didn't like a long 12volt extension cord, one of those coiled type. Direct wired in an outlet next to the bed and it works fine.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #9

I rewired mine. Since the original circuit provided power to the LR and BR TV's from the AC branch circuit that fed the BR, I cut the wireing to the BR TV at it's source under the bed, and ran a new wire up to the AC circuits in the compartment on the curb side of the LR TV and down to the 600 W inverter. This gave me power from the 600 W inverter to operate the TV's and the AC outlets under the dash on the curb side. I also installed an AC cord and plug so that I can move the output from the inverter to a hot AC receptacle when shore power is available. The 600 W inverter is no longer plugged into an AC circuit that would normally supply shore power.

I also installed a 2000 W Freedom 458 inverter (which I already owned) along side the 600 W inverter and moved the three original branch circuits so that they were all powered by the 2000 W inverter. I also wired the 2000 W inverter so that it charged the house batteries when shore power was available. The control panel for the 2000 W inverter is in the hallway to the BR in line with the other control panels. I put all the AC wireing to that inverter in metal flex conduit which is grounded at each end in order to prevent noise to my amateur radios. For that same purpose I installed ferite beads at each end to the control panel cable.

Bob, wa7hra.........
Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverter Powered Outlets

Thank you to all who responded. There seem to be a lot of us out there needing CPAPs in order to sleep and breath at the same time!

wa7hra - I wish I was an electrician like you! I would rewire in a second! Can you tell me where I would find the electrical 'blocks' you speak of.

I am thinking my best option at this point is to run the line from the BR TV to the outlet on my nightstand in the slide out. Only problem then, is how to mount so the wiring will move in and out with the slide and not get cut!

I will keep you informed as to my progress!

Thanks again..

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
wa7hra - I wish I was an electrician like you! I would rewire in a second! Can you tell me where I would find the electrical 'blocks' you speak of.

I am thinking my best option at this point is to run the line from the BR TV to the outlet on my nightstand in the slide out. Only problem then, is how to mount so the wiring will move in and out with the slide and not get cut!

I don't understand "blocks" Perhaps you could be more specific.

As for the second paragraph quoted here. My coach was originally wired so that the outlets in the BR and the BR TV were both on the same circuit. If that is the case with yours, the outlet on the nightstand may be hot when your 600 W inverter is on. Mine was. Check it out.

Bob, wa7hra.........
Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverter Powered Outlets

Bob,

When on the inverter, I plugged in an electric clock to the outlet on my side of the bed and there was no power. Using a built in inverter is new to me, so I may not be setting it correctly. I pushed the button on the panel that says "Inverter" on it and the TVs went on. I have a set of walkie talkies plugged in to the outlet by the Co-Pilots chaor, and it was 'hot'. Just no power to the only outlet I am really interested in!

By 'blocks' I meant electrical panels.

Darryl
Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Bob,

When on the inverter, I plugged in an electric clock to the outlet on my side of the bed and there was no power. Using a built in inverter is new to me, so I may not be setting it correctly. I pushed the button on the panel that says "Inverter" on it and the TVs went on. I have a set of walkie talkies plugged in to the outlet by the Co-Pilots chaor, and it was 'hot'. Just no power to the only outlet I am really interested in!

By 'blocks' I meant electrical panels.

Darryl

Well, it looks like the BR outlets are not powered by the inverter.

Regarding "blocks", the panels I refer to are those above the AC breaker box that you select to determine state of your holding tanks, the furnace, the Fantastic Fan, and the slide outs. I added the Freedom 458 control at the bottom in a space that the Deluxe model coach uses for that purpose.

Bob, wa7hra........
Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #14

Inverter & CPAP

I use an extension cord from the bedroom TV outlet with the inverter on and have had no problems. My humidifier works fine. I just sleep on that side of the bed (back side). Good luck!

Tags
inverter