Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverter Question

Its time that I learn about my Inverter. When we bought this coach my inverter was trying to run the fridge and was sucking my batteries down, even with the entry switch OFF it was still powering the fridge and TV. I turned the entry switch OFF and the switch on the Inverter OFF.. that was four years ago. Yesterday we wanted to charge the phones while traveling, I turned both switches ON. I checked all outlets and never found power.
So what plugs do I check for power, does it take a few minutes for the inverter to put out the voltage??
Thanks, Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
Community Administrator

The first thing I would check for is the fuse or breaker on the inverter itself.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
It would be good if you posted the Make and Model of your Inverter/Charger. I have an older Freedom 20 and the instructions say if you have a remote inside the coach the ON/OFF switch on the Inverter should be left OFF and to use the switch on the remote to turn the Inverter on. The inverter will not supply power to all outlets so looking with a light or meter will be required to sort out which are powered. Typically the Fridge is not powered by the Inverter so the PO must have modified it. Things like the Fridge and Coffee Maker really drain the batteries quickly as you found out.

The salesman switch will not disconnect the 12VDC to the inverter/Charger. You will find a rather large fuse, mine is 300 AMP, in the line from the Inverter/Charger to the House Battery Bank. This heavy cable will supply charging current to the Batteries when plugged into shore power or running the Genny. It also supplies Inverter 12VDC power when using the inverter and not plugged into Shore Power or Genny. When getting AC Power from Shore or the Genny the Inverter will internally switch the output feeds to the AC in, so the Inverter is isolated and not used.

I'd check the breakers on the inverter first like Cliff said. Then check the switch settings on the Inverter (Off) and your inside remote (ON). After that check the 300AMP fuse inline with the Batteries even though it's really unlikely to be blown.

Dick
Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #4

It would help to know what inverter you have. If whole house inverter typically the 50 amp input goes to breaker box then there would be breakers for air conditioning and for inverter. then from the inverter would be lines to a sub panel (either a separate box or a separate section in the main breaker box). From the sub panel would be breakers for all that are powered by the inverter. On the inverter itself should be breaker(s) on the face of the inverter. If the fridge works off the inverter you can do two things (1) check the outlet where the fridge is plugged in to see if the outlets are charged by inverter (many have one plug charged with inverter and other wired to the main so not through inverter). make sure the fridge is plugged in to the outlet not serviced by inverter and the ice maker is plugged in tot he outlet onthe inverter. (2) on the front of the fridge should be a push switch to switch from auto (elec or gas with priority to elec) to gas and the inverter will no longer run the fridge.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
First I want to disclaim any direct knowledge of the Seebreeze model.

Our MH is an '05 Dolphin and we have an on=off switch for the inverter on the panel that also has the hot water heater switches, battery level LCD and holding tank/LP tank levels.

I learned early on that if I wanted to drain my house batteries dry, all I had to do was turn the inverter switch to "on" and leave it that way for a day or so.

Because I usually have shore power attached, I don't need to use the inverter (I get AC from the site). If I want to use the microwave while NOT connected to shore power, I run the generator, even when I'm moving down the road.

As for the refrigerator, when on shore power its on AC, when not on AC its on LP. (I won't tell you that we leave it on LP even when going down the road because I don't want to restart the LP in use while driving fire .
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #6

Behind my inverter ( 05 Dolphin) is a covered panel that houses several inline breakers that all have little reset buttons. Once in a while I have hit the reset for the inverter.
David
Post43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
First on our Dolphin there are 2 plugs behind the fridge, one has power when the inverter is on. It is for the icemaker, the second one is only powered from shore or generator it is for the fridge itself. Mine were reversed and would suck the batteries down very quickly if the inverter was on.

Second we have 1500 watt inverter and only 2 house batteries. With this configuration usually you will only have a very few plugs powered by the inverter. On ours they are the icemaker, both TV's and the plug by the passengers seat.

Hope this helps.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been slow to respond to this. Sorry. On the road, slow to no Wifi, then busy with relatives here in Phoenix.
So I have a Dimensions Unlimited 600 Watt Quasi-Sine wave inverter. Then I have a Progressive Dynamics 9200, Charger Management System. I have not checked the resets, or plug-ins on it as I am on shore power now.. I may un-plug in the morning and do some testing.
Thanks for all the ideas. Don
Old 02-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #9

We have just bought our first Class A - 2005 Sea Breeze LX - Loving it so far.

I have not been able to locate my Inverter. Can someone direct me where to look so I can figure out what it's capablities are?

Thanks,
RetiredAndOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndOn View Post
We have just bought our first Class A - 2005 Sea Breeze LX - Loving it so far.

I have not been able to locate my Inverter. Can someone direct me where to look so I can figure out what it's capablities are?

Thanks,
My best guess is basement compartment, just forward of entrance door.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retiredandon,, basement door just in front of the door, mine is hanging from the floor of the coach, roof of the basement area.. The again you might not have one?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #12

Thank you Fred & DonHoward. I know where you are talking about.
RetiredAndOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter