Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Inverter wiring to GFI on Tradewinds

When I got my 2000 Tradewinds one of the circuits on the inverter/converter was disconnected (un-wired). The wire to the kitchen sink was there but disconnected and I found wire was shorted.
I pulled in a new romex wire to the GFI at the kitchen sink. I need a wiring diagram of how this should be wired to the GFI. I wired it as I thought it should, but something is not right. The inverter works fine boondocking but when I plug the coach in to shore power after a while the inverter flashed over heat. The only way I can get it out of overheat is disconnection all power to it 12 volt and 120.

It works fine with just to GFI at the bathroom sink on, so it is something I wired at the kitchen sink on that GFI.

A wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated.
Sharpsville, In
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Often a GCFI is 'daisy-chained' with another outlet downstream so it is also protected. Have you checked that's not the case with the kitchen GCFI? If you disconnect the wiring you added, does the inverter/charger work as it should? I'd start by doing those checks first.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

Do keep us posted on what you find. I too have some oddness with the GFI in the kitchen. I haven't looked at it close enough to figure out what's up ... but we've had issues with it, especially when running on battery only through the inverter.
neilticktin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

Narrow down the problem by unhooking each voltage supply, 12 volt only and then 120 volt only.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Narrow down the problem by unhooking each voltage supply, 12 volt only and then 120 volt only.
Thanks! It's not so much a matter of the current state of my rig, but I'm trying to determine what it was supposed to be like.
neilticktin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, wiring