Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #1
mrk

Is my windshield coming loose?

During the last couple of short trips, we've been hearing a whistling sound when we drive our '99 Tradewinds down the highway. A search around the windshield with a leaf blower finally disclosed the source of the air infiltration.

The windshield lower gasket on passenger side appears to have moved forward. Above this area, a section of the edge of the windshield (about 15 inches) is visible and no longer beneath the gasket. The rest of the gasket appears to be where it belongs. Here' a picture of the corner of the windshield.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151008_165028 (1).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	109115

First, am I in any imminent danger of losing the windshield? Secondly, what needs to be done to fix this?

Dale
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #2

Considering the cost of a new windshield, and the potential danger of it falling out, or leaking water into your MH's side wall, I'd do some Google research and find a auto glass repair facility that has the equipment and experience to repair MH windshields. Anything short of this will leave you to always be concerned that your "fix" actually "fixed" it. And, I'm one who does, or will at least first try to, fix whatever I find wrong on my MH.
Gary
garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #3

Hi Just had this done on my 2005 dolphin.

The windshield will have to be removed and reinstall. As mentioned above let only an experienced RV shop or glass company do the work. It will require the seal be glued to the fiberglass opening. The rubber seal is old and should be replaced as it will not flexible enough to to use again. Depending on your coach, if it has a split windshield both sides will have to be removed then reinstalled. In my case it was the passenger side that had popped out but when reinstalling the driver side it cracked and had to be replaced.

I called RV Glass Solutions in Oregon and they recommended an RV shop in my area to do the work. They will recommend a shop near you. In my case the shop did a great job and my insurance covered the expense. The cost was slightly over $2,200.00 if I remember correctly.

Good luck ,

Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
One caveat. I would not count on insurance company paying for the repair, at least not before you've talked to them. This was not caused by accident. The breaking of Bill's windshield was probably considered accidental thus it was covered.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It wouldn't be hard to cause a crack in the windshield.😉😉😉
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #6

Had the same thing occur on my 99 Tradewinds. Re-setting as described by others here is the solution. Fortunately for me, my windshield cracked (WITHOUT any help from me), so insurance paid for the pricey repair. Good luck
Chuck
Chuck47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
mrk

Bill and Chuck,
Might you recall how much your repair cost would have been had your windshields not had to be replaced? I don't expect the insurance company to contribute to the cost unless the glass should break during the repair process, as I can't envision a repair shop taking on the risk of breaking a piece of glass that is already of questionable strength.

My son pointed out that the gasket running down the middle of the windshield appears to be off-center at the top (toward the drivers side). It's likely that a proper repair will entail BOTH windshields. $$$

I'm told that it looks safe to drive, and I took a 150 mile round trip this weekend with no further movement of the glass, so I'm going to check repair costs at some places specializing in RV glass.
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:17 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
A local glass company was able to re-set the passenger side windshield in our '99 Tradewinds, and they resealed both sides - under $100. We may be fortunate to have this local company, but where there is one, there must be more. Ask around, contact local companies and ask your insurance agent if he/she has recommendations.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For peace of mind, a piece or two of duct tape over the seam will keep it in place and maybe even stop the whistle while you head to the repair facility.

I recently went to Duncan RV Repair in Elkhardt, Indiana to replace my gasket. One of my windshields had a small crack in the corner but it was determined that I was beginning delamination on the other... so I had both replaced.

Duncan has a dedicated bay for windshield work complete with full-width lift and they do this kind of work all day, every day. I was very pleased with the work performed. As we full-time, I was in the coach on the computer the whole time and one can tell when someone knows what he's doing. These guys were great.

The end result... each glass was about $750, gasket was about $375 and labor was about $600. My rig was in that bay most of one day and part of the next (outside hooked up to free electric overnight).
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:22 AM   #10

Hi Dale,

You might get lucky and find a shop that can simply move the windshield and get it to pop back in. When I was on the road a mobile windshield guy came to where we were and attempted to get seal to move back into place. No luck! He said the seal was too old and had hardened over time and recommended replacing it. The seal itself was ~$250.00 and the adhesive was also very expensive. However when replacing the seal both sides have to come out and be reset. The estimated time was ~4 hours at $125.00 per hour + material. After they get the windshields reinstalled it take 24 hours minimum for the adhesive to cure. It would have shot the better part of $1K dollar bill. During the process the drivers side cracked and that's when the insurance company came into play. The total for 1 new windshield, gasket, adhesive and labor was $2200.00.

When it first happened I called every glass shop area. Everyone recommended this one mobile glass guy. No shop except the mobile guy was willing to take on the job. I was told to put some tape on and try to get home, we made it home without any problems.

Most RV repair shops will not attempt to do windshields. I called RV Glass Solutions and they recommended a shop in my area that had experience replacing windshields so I went with them.

JoAnn was very lucky to find someone willing and capable of repairing their windshield for under $100.00. I think the mobile glass guy would have charged me about the same if he would have been able to get the windshield to move back into place. We tried pushing in all directions, even made a tool to reach between the glass and dash to try and get the seal to move back over the fiberglass lip, but no luck. You might be luckier than me as it looks like your windshield popped out, mine popped in. If that make any sense. In any case best of luck!

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Yes, we are very fortunate. The local shop is part of Harmon Auto Glass - Glass Doctor. I looked on line and they have shops in other areas. Whether they are as able to fix a whistling window as our guys were, I can not say, but I will put in a vote for them as a possible solution if they have a shop near you.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We just had this experience on out '99 TropiCal. Found a mobile glass guy willing to do it. Needed a new seal and he was able to save our glass. It had popped out on both top corners because our annual parking spot apparently tweaks our coach ( we will find a new place to park it.) It cost $1000.....
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you google Duncan they will find a shop for you near your location.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Bill and Chuck,
Might you recall how much your repair cost would have been had your windshields not had to be replaced? I don't expect the insurance company to contribute to the cost unless the glass should break during the repair process, as I can't envision a repair shop taking on the risk of breaking a piece of glass that is already of questionable strength.

My son pointed out that the gasket running down the middle of the windshield appears to be off-center at the top (toward the drivers side). It's likely that a proper repair will entail BOTH windshields. $$$

I'm told that it looks safe to drive, and I took a 150 mile round trip this weekend with no further movement of the glass, so I'm going to check repair costs at some places specializing in RV glass.
I pulled out my file to look up the costs & suddenly re-lived the whole nightmare. The installer did a good job but also caused a huge hassle involving him,me, and Duncan systems. Eventually got it sorted & learned to NOT believe everything some of these installers tell you. Anyhow, near as I can make out thru all the notations, the amount for removing & resetting the unbroken windshield was $250 and the new gasket was $300. I don't really know what he got front the insurance Co. for replacing the broken side. I hope this never happens to either of us again. Good luck with yours
Chuck
Chuck47 is offline   Reply With Quote