Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #1

Is this right?

My Dolphin has been in a very well know RV shop having a number of things done to improve the ride along with installing a new cooling pack in my refrigerator. When I went to pick it up yesterday the ABS light and warning was on. They spent time trying to get a reading from their computers to detect the problem and could not get a reading. They asked that I leave it for them to find the problem which I did. This evening I get a call saying they had spent hours trying to track down the problem, on the phone getting IT to get their computers to read my RV, found out it was a bad modular but didnít feel right charging me for all the hours spent so they were only charging me $800!!! When I left yesterday I was under the impression they thought they had caused the issue, today it is me owning $800. If I had any idea this was a possibility I would have taken it to my regular mechanic. Does this seem reasonable to you?
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #2

Sounds like Camping World. You should call the manager and on up the ladder until you're talking to corporate. Document everything. Tell them you are contacting the state attorney general. And on and on. Don't let up, be relentless. Insist you don't owe them a cent for their screw up.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Sounds like Camping World. You should call the manager and on up the ladder until you're talking to corporate. Document everything. Tell them you are contacting the state attorney general. And on and on. Don't let up, be relentless. Insist you don't owe them a cent for their screw up.
This was not Camping World but is a place with an excellent reputation. I have asked to talk with the owner tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #4

On a different aspect of your issue (which sucks) what were you having done to improve the ride?
2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ABS sensors on the wheels can be dislodged or moved a bit...or get really dirty. That might be the cause of your concern.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
The ABS sensors on the wheels can be dislodged or moved a bit...or get really dirty. That might be the cause of your concern.
This^^, was my first thought as I read you OP. Since you were having work done to "improve the ride," I automatically assumed there was some activity around the wheels which could easily dislodge or misalign a sensor. Don't know what a "bad modular" (or module) means but it could simply be their jargon for sensor.

My rant. I suspect they tried to find the issue through "modern" methods of computer diagnostics rather that through logic/troublehsooting from a hands-on knowledge of the system itself, something an experienced mechanic, who is used to fixing rather than replacing, would have done. It doesn't take a mechanical genius to inspect/check the wheel sensors as a first step. I wonder if that was done, as I wonder what "modular" means. They spent quite a few "man hours" and finally found the problem and gave you a "break" on the cost. Still, the issue arose from their work on your coach. Period.

Rant over.

The the very least, could you let us know what is meant by "bad modular"? I think that would go a long way in helping you and us understand the solution and whether it was fairly priced.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2445 View Post
On a different aspect of your issue (which sucks) what were you having done to improve the ride?
My coach was not riding or handling as well as it did in the past so I had several things done and I must say the drive home was a pleasure.

Added new Tie Rods
Added front and rear Koni shocks
Added safety plus to assist in steering control
Added front and rear Sumo springs

There are still a couple of other things I wanted to do but decided to wait until I see if I need them.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
This^^, was my first thought as I read you OP. Since you were having work done to "improve the ride," I automatically assumed there was some activity around the wheels which could easily dislodge or misalign a sensor. Don't know what a "bad modular" (or module) means but it could simply be their jargon for sensor.

My rant. I suspect they tried to find the issue through "modern" methods of computer diagnostics rather that through logic/troublehsooting from a hands-on knowledge of the system itself, something an experienced mechanic, who is used to fixing rather than replacing, would have done. It doesn't take a mechanical genius to inspect/check the wheel sensors as a first step. I wonder if that was done, as I wonder what "modular" means. They spent quite a few "man hours" and finally found the problem and gave you a "break" on the cost. Still, the issue arose from their work on your coach. Period.

Rant over.

The the very least, could you let us know what is meant by "bad modular"? I think that would go a long way in helping you and us understand the solution and whether it was fairly priced.

Bad Modular was a misquote by the first person giving me the bad news. Iím attaching a photo of the final bill with details of the work done. The bill was for $1,207. but was reduced to the $800. I am not happy about it at all but due to the amount of work they have done and is warranted by them plus some future work I may want done i canít burn that bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B276DD19-0C8A-4FD3-A4FD-196467238E2F.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	273239  
Old 01-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You should probably feel fortunate in that they reduced the charge to $800. They could have charged more.

I will say that chasing these types of issues can take time. I had an ABS light on and it took me a long time to figure out what was wrong. Granted I don't have the software that may have steered me in the right direction.

Either way you got it fixed.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote