Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #15

I agree that is weird but that would indicate either not having all the symptoms listed or turning power off and on is reseting something in the converter/charger or elsewhere. Next time it happens then see if all your AC appliances and your airconditioners work or use a voltmeter and see if you have the correct AC power. If that all is good then it cannot be the transfer switch. I looked at the link that describes the transfer switch but they don't supply a wiring diagram of the PC board to see if 12 volts was utilized anywhere but I don't think that would make any difference because you either have 110 volts to the appliances or you don't.

One question here is that you say the batteries are not charging when on shore power and this happened more than once then is this the same shore power being used everytime?

The website for trouble shooting indicates that if shore power is hooked up and the generator is running then you still get AC power from the shore power until shore power is turned off or unplugged. Is that the way you understand it works?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rick: Thanks for posting this. I think I have the same problem on my coach. The lights seems to be dim than usual, my MH has been in shore power for about 2-1/2 months now. Refilled the batteries, started the GenSet today, and looks like everything is OK. But since I'm going to Brazel's on Friday, I'll see if they can also check the converter/inverter.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Mike thanks for making an attempt to help solve this odd problem. The shore power is the same. We've been stationary for a few months. Other than the two times I've noticed the dim 12v lights, the batteries have always been maintained at 13.8 - 14.3 volts by the charging system. When the batteries were running low last night, (dim lights), we also had a 120v breaker pop. I think NRV might have a few to many outlets on the same circuit but the rear bedroom 120v outlets are on the same breaker as the front TV entertainment center. Normally, we can have a space heater on in the back, (An Edenpure 500) and the front TV/Sat dish receiver on, no problem. Last night when I noticed the dim light situation and saw the battery voltage down to 11.1, the TV and space heater popped the 120v breaker, which never happens but did both times when I noticed the low battery voltage. If I neglected to add this to previous post, I'm sorry. I'm starting to remember some other circumstances around this thing.

Oh, I forgot to mention.
If I am on shore power and start the genset, let it run a while, when I shut it off I have to reset the microwave clock and the sat receiver and tv both shut down for a moment while the coach is re-establishing shore power. It's always been that way.

You are welcome Rom. I hope you resolve yours. I think I'm on my way to fixing ours.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Might be fluke, but we were having the same problem, 2006 Dolphin. We mentioned it while out at Redlands, we were still in warranty by a week, and they replaced the Workhorse battery.
Everything works great again.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #19

Did you check your batteries? We don't dry camp much, but this summer we had a hard time keeping a charge during 4 nights off grid. The voltage was low 11's each morning and had to run the generator 2-3 times during the day. One of the two 6V batteries was bad. I replaced the bad one, and problem solved. The battery was only 3 years old.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376:
My converter / Charger is located in the front most, outside compartment on the passenger side. Will I find the contactor there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my '03 Dolphin, there is an electrical control panel in the same compartment. There are 3 circuit breakers on it. The breakers on each end protect the inverter and converter circuits. Press them in to RESET. Give it a try. It solved the same problem you are having on my rig

Bob, wa7hra
Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Batteries are always topped off but I have not had them load tested. Gut feel is that they are fine and we suffer from an other electrical issue. Maybe contactor. Going to take them apart and clean them this weekend.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is my understanding that the Genset takes priorty over shorepower. (If the genarator is started, while the shorepower is connected, it will switch to the generator) I do this sometimes, and have to reset my invertor. (the switch over, seems to kick the invertor on my system.)

Be sure to check the Ground for the Batteries, (at the Chassis)
Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, great suggestion. I'm giving the whole system as once over this weekend. My consulting work has turned in to a near full time job and don't have enough day light to get to involved during the week.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #24

For what it's worth, my 2001 has both the CONverter and the INverter in the same place...outside compartment, passenger side,forward of the door.

According to a recent repair (see my thread about my lightening strike) my tranfer switch apparantly is INSIDE the INverter. At least that's the way I understood the repair guy.

Whatever it is...good luck. Electrical problems (gremlins) are not fun. Or cheap. If possible, when at wits' end...I would try to find a (former) National RV dealer. They probably remember and might even have any factory repair books. My (former) National RV dealer will still service mine for whatever...unfotunately he's in Pennsylvania....and no good to you. Unless, of course, you make a trip! Again...good luck.
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll start with an inspection, cleaning of terminals and contactor assy. since it's intermittent problem, I don't think it's battery time.
FYI: I found my transfer switch in the rear most driverside outside compartment.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #26

Not to go off on a tangent...but

TWO2GO: Replacing just one of the 2 6V batteries might not be a really good idea. A new strong battery and an older weaker one is not the greatest idea. Like shocks or tires, replace them in pairs.

Now back to topic...correct me if I'm wrong...but there was mention of a transfer switch outside the INverter (like on the wall). What I have on the wall is the solinoid which is called a battery isolater. NOT a tranfer switch. (Looks just like a Ford-style starter solinoid)
Old 12-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #27

Isn't that solenoid used to shut off the entire 12 volt system? If that was bad the 12 volts wouldn't work even if he charged the batteries off the genset.

There is also another Ford type solenoid that is used to tie the batteries all together for a "Start Boost"

I called Trojan on the swapping batteries a couple of years ago when I had one go bad and they said if the other battery checks good under load then there is no reason to change them in pairs.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:42 AM   #28

MIKE CANTER:
Of course, I have a switch by the front door ("battery disconnect") to turn off the 2 6-volt batteries. The way my Dolphin in set up, unless these batteries are "on", the generator won't work.

The "Start Boost" feature, which I also have....when I bought the coach new, the dealership mechanic said not to use it. He claimed it had a history of burning out a relay or something. I took his advice, of course, and don't. Thoses infrequent times when I found I could not start the motor (12V battery) I used jumper cables. No biggie. Last year I bought a gadget called "Trik-L-Start". Seemes to eliminate any problems with the 12V battery losing starter strength during extended storage.

"....there is no reason to change them in pairs". OK...I have no problem with that, I think that's a matter of opinion. My OPINION is that, say with shock absorbers, if one side in the front goes bad, change BOTH fronts. I share that even when it comes to batteries. That's me.