RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Issues with keeping electricity flowing

Hi all,

Could use some advice as I'm a bit lost on what to do next to resolve.

We've just inherited a 2000 National Tradewinds 37' (7371 on a Freightliner chassis, Cat 300hp turbo diesel) from my dad who passed away several months ago. It's a 50 amp rig, but it's clear that my dad often was using 30 amp.

I've had the rig in and "checked out" and serviced for the coach and the truck portions. We're on our first big road trip, and it's hotter than hell outside (90-115 degrees so far) on our path.

I'm having issues keeping both roof ACs running -- and here's the items that may or may not be related. (They've been checked out and appear to work fine).

Last night, 30 amp plug in was fine -- AC ran all night. This morning, as it got hot, the circuit breaker for the campsite (not the rig) kept flipping. The black 50 amp shoreline was hot enough that I needed gloves to handle -- and I'm sure that's why it was tripping (e.g., heat).

Similarly, when plugged into 30amp at my dad's house -- it can be a struggle to keep the ACs running without tripping the house breaker. But, when I limit (via Heart Interface) to 20 amp, seems to be ok.

When we left, I couldn't keep the Generac LPG generator (yeah, I've heard this is not a great unit) running -- it kept stopping. Even when I put the 'power share" on the Heart Interface to 5amp, the generator would not stay running with both roof ACs running.

I can't find documentation on the Heart Interface (inverter) -- so maybe I'm just being lame. But, shouldn't I be able to be plugged in, run both roof ACs even when it's hot out? And, do the same powered by generator as well?

Could use advice!

Thanks!
Neil
neilticktin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never try to run 2 AC's with only 30 amp service. It takes 50 amp service to satisfactorily run 2 AC's. If the Genny is working properly, you should be able to run 2 AC's on that.....if not, then you have other issues. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

I'm surprised the interface will allow the use of both AC units on a 30 amp service. Have you had the AC units serviced? Condensers washed out and filters cleaned? If not, that might make a difference on a hot day. Have you had the generator serviced? My 5500 onan will run both of my AC units, but I haven't tried when temps are that warm, not that warm around here yet.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #4

my tradewinds runs both AC's fine with my NP66 LP Generac. on 50A service I can run both A/C, microwave, and dryer with no issues, among other things (ive been told that 50A RV service is around 12000 watts of power. now what I have seen before is that if one A/C compressor is going out or is shot, it will draw way more amperage than it should, how are the house batteries? if you don't have generator or electric plugged in can you "boondock" for a while with 12v power, it seems either your A/C is drawing too much amperage or your house batteries are in such bad shape and possible on top of that your interface is drawing way too much juice to try and charge them up. if I were you I would run one A/C at a time and measure the amperage draw, if one is a lot more than the other I would start there trying to figure out why!

hope you figure it out, ive stayed in my tradewinds in over 100 degree temps with it 68 degrees inside and never had an issue, but yes on 30A you can only run 1 A/C, and a microwave or so. if i try to run one A/C, Dryer, Microwave, and electric water heater I will blow a 30A everytime.

hope this helps
Dustinwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #5

When plugged into a known good 50 amp campground pedestal use a clamp on amperage / voltmeter to determine draw of each air conditioner and both combined. If the A/C units draw equally and are within manufacturer specs and there are no other large draws, pedestal may be bad. To determine if the pedestal is good, use the voltmeter to test for correct voltage on each leg 110v to 120v. Also a surge protector with polarity test feature is strongly reccomened. A clamp on volt/ohm/amp tester can be purchased at lowes or home depot for under $80.00