Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

Kwikee step troubleshooting

Hello all,

My Kwikee steps have been acting very intermittently recently. Most of the time, the steps extend and retracts perfectly. However, there are times when the steps will not retract.

When this happens, I cycle the override switch near the door, to see if the steps are locked in the out position for camping. If that doesn't solve it, I turn on the engine ignition. The steps will usually stay extended.

I am most suspicious of the magnetic door switch. I believe the step controller logic will keep the steps extended if the door switch signals the door is still open.

My magnetic door switch appears to be located about one foot up from the door bottom, located on the latch/handle side of the door. The two parts are about nickle size rounds. Any tips on how to further troubleshoot and repair would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Karl
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Have you lubricated all the pivot point on the steps lately. Mine acts up if it isn't moving freely.
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:42 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9999 View Post
Have you lubricated all the pivot point on the steps lately. Mine acts up if it isn't moving freely.
What he said
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:31 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Search Engine

Had problems with mine too, and changed out the magnetic switch. This topic has been discussed at length numerous times, and very recently I saw a great thread.
Used the search engine up top and enter Kwikee steps, then look for the most recent discussion. Sometimes folks donít want to submit information over and over again when it is readily available via the siteís search engine.
Check it out, and good luck finding a solution. Mine works great since I changed out the switch and now lube the mechanism monthly.

Cheers

DJ
Old 11-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #5

I rebuilt my kwikee steps and documented the process, this might give you some tips.

https://safaritoonces.org/project-tr...wikee-steps-2/

There are a number of interlocks on the step. The mauals are also included in the link.

All the best.
blewis9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #6

I had a similar problem and traced it back to the plug where the steps plug into the motorhome for power....that plug is in line with the right front tire and I suspect over time it gets a lot of water and road grime while driving and it basically rotted the wires in the plug.....it fell apart in my hand when I grabbed it......so I cut the wires on each side of the plug and spliced in jumper wires and worked perfect....something else for you to look at....good luck!!
Old 11-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions from members. I did a search engine look-up as suggested, and found some more great troubleshooting info. Looks like a lube of all moving parts first, then checking electrical connectors, and then the magnetic switch.

regards,
Karl
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee