Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Leaking anti siphon valve darn!

Found leaking Watts anti siphon valve located near hall sink, water was leakimg down thru floor. Pulled panel behind toilet and sure enough water coming from this point. Will any anti siphon valve work as a replacement or would you use only the Watts?

They are only about 40.00, are cast with a chrome cap, not sure I want a plastic replacement,one parts guy told me he had never seen one on any of the 5 rvs hes owned, I seen at least 2, my current and the holiday rambler I had before.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Watts makes repair kits for their anti siphon valves. Since all the pipes in your RV are plastic, I don't know why you're hesitant to use a plastic valve.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

I guess Im just wondering they used this type for a reason?? Just wanted it to be as OEM as it once was. A little goofy I guess.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Let me start by saying I hope we are talking about the same valve.

The anti-syphon or vacuum break valve on my MH is for the black tank flush system. Mine is located in the same space as the black tank vent tube. There is also a check valve right after the anti-syphon valve on my MH. The anti-syphon valve was leaking whenever I flushed my black tank. When I opened the wall and pulled out the water tubing and valves I found the check valve was not closing either. This may have been the reason I would have a smelly MH every so often. I replaced the whole thing with a 1/2" PVC check valve and left the anti-syphon valve out of the system. Hope I don't regret that some day. The reason I think they put the anti-syphon valve in there, is so the water will drain out of the black tank flush system for winter storage.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

@Belgain,

I hope too! Ok here is a pic of the valve I am talking about, the more I think about it I suppose you are right. I did flush the tank last week, the leak wasnt immediate, seemed like the next day after which made no sense to me. The spigot I use for flushing is different than the one I use for shore water.

It also seems to leak even if I am not flushing, I "assumed" it had something to do with the sink because of proximity to the sink. I am going to just replace the darn thing with what ever the supplier has, just want the water to stop. I will also add a flow restriction device to protect my plumbing system which I don't have at this point.

The two pipes that are in the second pic is attached to this valve, so these would run directly to the flusher in the black tank and the water it is protecting is the spigot at my house, this doesn't connect to any other water supply in the rv, right?

Thanks for the info and straightening me out

Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The picture really help, thanks. That is very similar to mine. You may find a check valve attached also when you remove the plumbers tape. Also for your info.the anti-syphon valve will leak through the chrome cap if the water pressure isn't high enough. The anti-syphon valve I removed required 40psi to close the interior plunger.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
Let me start by saying I hope we are talking about the same valve.

The anti-syphon or vacuum break valve on my MH is for the black tank flush system. Mine is located in the same space as the black tank vent tube. There is also a check valve right after the anti-syphon valve on my MH. The anti-syphon valve was leaking whenever I flushed my black tank. When I opened the wall and pulled out the water tubing and valves I found the check valve was not closing either. This may have been the reason I would have a smelly MH every so often. I replaced the whole thing with a 1/2" PVC check valve and left the anti-syphon valve out of the system. Hope I don't regret that some day. The reason I think they put the anti-syphon valve in there, is so the water will drain out of the black tank flush system for winter storage.
Belgian
I believe what you and RUNDLC are talking about is a "vacuum breaker".

This is a "vacuum breaker", (they are used in pressurized water lines to prevent the contamination of the water supply):

VACUUM BREAKER
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an "air admittance valve", (they are used in gravity drain lines):

AIR ADMITTANCE VALVE
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #8

Yes its a v.b. I just left the RV supply / repair shop they told me that they actually bypass those when they go bad. I asked why? The guy said that it was an a law that they needed to be installed at that time but it was never needed.

If this breaker is only installed in the supply line to flush out the tank how could it possibly harm the water supply of the rv? I am going to bypass it and install a back flow prevention device at the fill side for the tank flush. I want to eliminate the possibility of water leaking into my rv again. With the BFP device Ill protect the c.g. water supply and my shore water-done deal.

Its hard enough finding water leaks may as well put the issue on the outside of the rig much easier to get to also.

Thanks all

Tags
leak