Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #1

Leaking bedroom slide?

Had rain last night before we left home this morning. Slides on the moho (2004 Dolphin) were closed at the time. When we got to the campground tonight I put out the bedroom slide and noticed a puddle of water on the bedroom carpet. At first I thought one of our pets had peed on the rug, but the liquid was cold, colorless and odorless. I then noticed that the water was just about where the inside edge of the slide would sit when the slide is closed, so I'm thinking maybe rain water might have run past the seal when the slide was closed and then toward the inside of the slide roof and found its way down to the carpeted floor below. No sign of a water leak on the ceiling of the slide otherwise.

Anyone else had a leak like this? Just wondering what I should be looking for. I resealed the roof of the slide earlier this summer and lubricated the slide seals. I didn't notice any damage at that time but it was VERY windy last night and I wonder if it pushed the rain under the seal?

The cats are blaming the dog.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
First, are the down spouts still on the corners of the MH? If one is missing (knocked off by branches) water pours down the sides when the gutter overflows and can make its way inside where the sides,roof, and end caps join. Second, have the seals on the end caps and along the side where the roof and sides join been re-sealed?

(always take free advise for what its worth)
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
First, are the down spouts still on the corners of the MH? If one is missing (knocked off by branches) water pours down the sides when the gutter overflows and can make its way inside where the sides,roof, and end caps join. Second, have the seals on the end caps and along the side where the roof and sides join been re-sealed?

(always take free advise for what its worth)
Thanks for your response. Yes, end caps were resealed recently. In any case, the leak would appear to be at the front of the slide, away from the end cap. Of course depending on how level the coach was it could have run to the front.

I guess the down spouts you refer to are just a curved piece at the end of the channel to direct the water down? That's all remember being on mine.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I had water leaks from rain on my previous 2005 Dolphin and current 2008 Dolphin's bedroom slide. The slide's roof is rubber. I found the factory did a poor job of folding the roofing correctly on both inner corners behind the slides inside facing. With the slide in, and standing on the bed with a mirror and strong light , I saw gaps because of how the roofing was folded. The 08 had unknowingly leaked for some time causing rust to the bottom slide frame and the slide's floor to go soft under the fiberglass. A smear of Dicor roof caulking on the right spots of the slides roof on both corners stopped the leaks. Removing the facing was difficult because of narrow gap at the top, but possible. It didn't always leak, usually only on windy rainy conditions where rain blew in under the topper awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00668a_resize.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	307832  
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #5

Was the slide top dry before after you closed it? Were the slide rubber sweeps twisted in after the slide was closed? Was the slide closed tightly?

I have had issues where the driving rain collected on the slide top before I closed up the rig to leave camp. First stop put about a gallon on the floor... I check now after closing and if need be, clean it before driving.

I have also had the side rubber sweeps be twisted in towards the top. Water was blown through that area and worked its way to the floor of the bedroom. I believe I had not put the slide all the way tight when that happened.

Also, I have found that cleaning the slide seals should be done regularly. It keeps a little bit of junk from allowing the seal to be water tight.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses y'all. Yes, slide was dry when closed. Thanks for the tips and photo on slide roof, Greg. I'll check this out. I didn't have my ladder with me today to do a close up inspection, but from the ground it looks like some discoloration of the outer seal where I suspect it may be leaking. Again, it was VERY windy so may be a very infrequent happening, but leaks don't usually get better with time so might as well fix it now.

Was parked next to a 2005 Dolphin 5230 (same length and floor plan as mine) at a campground on the Colorado River for the last couple days. They're actually still quite numerous out west here, and every owner I've met so far is very happy with theirs.

Tags
leak, slide