RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Let's talk headlights trouble

I have had issues with the headlights on my 2004 Seabreeze (F-53). I have daytime running lights so the headlights are on any time the motorhome is running, problem is that I have low voltage even when I turn the headlights on, and they are not bright enough for driving at night, so I constantly have to run with brights on. I took this problem to my local shop who agrees with what I have read on here, likely a bad ground. I wonder where the ground issue could be, I know in my boat there is a ground bus (bar) where wires terminate. I am not sure how to check for ground on here, and shop told me he could start to trace back in wiring but would be $105 per hour.

Wonder why I just can't run new ground wire from the two headlights to the ground post on the battery? Seems if the ground is the problem this would be an easy solution.

What do you all think.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is your easiest check and likely where the problem is. Find the "MAIN" battery ground (battery negative) to chassis near the house battery bank. Remove, clean, grind, brush and sand to bright metal and reassemble using a little "conductive" grease on all surfaces. I bet this fixes your headlight problem and "improves" ALL 12VDC operations. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Here is your easiest check and likely where the problem is. Find the "MAIN" battery ground (battery negative) to chassis near the house battery bank. Remove, clean, grind, brush and sand to bright metal and reassemble using a little "conductive" grease on all surfaces. I bet this fixes your headlight problem and "improves" ALL 12VDC operations. Rook
Gonna give that a try. Thanks
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
I have had issues with the headlights on my 2004 Seabreeze (F-53). I have daytime running lights so the headlights are on any time the motorhome is running, problem is that I have low voltage even when I turn the headlights on, and they are not bright enough for driving at night, so I constantly have to run with brights on. I took this problem to my local shop who agrees with what I have read on here, likely a bad ground. I wonder where the ground issue could be, I know in my boat there is a ground bus (bar) where wires terminate. I am not sure how to check for ground on here, and shop told me he could start to trace back in wiring but would be $105 per hour.

Wonder why I just can't run new ground wire from the two headlights to the ground post on the battery? Seems if the ground is the problem this would be an easy solution.

What do you all think.
Where is your battery located. On my DP, it's near the rear with probably 35-40 feet of (thin) wire plus a headlight switch and multi-function switch between that and the headlights.

See my solution here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/dim-...ed-265118.html

If your battery is in the front near the headlights, probably not the same problem but could still be bad switch(es).
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

Some DRLs worked by putting the two lights in series, giving about 1/3 of their normal brightness. The were switched to parallel when the light switch was move to "headlights".
Old 10-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Gonna give that a try. Thanks
This is actually a well discussed problem. If you measure the voltage across the filaments, you would see around 10V.

I have attached a schematic of how to add a relay while still keeping the DRL feature. Increasing the ground wire gauge is also helpful.

Regards,

Dan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fleetwood Headlight modification.pdf (29.9 KB, 37 views)

Tags
light, lights