Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2023, 08:35 AM   #1

Leveling Jacks

I have a 2005 National Sea Breeze Model 8321. For some reason my leveling jacks have stopped extending. When I press the button to extend them I hear a click sound. Also the disconnect switch for the battery disconnects (it could be a short?). Could it be a bad solenoid? Could it be a fluid level in the hydraulics? Does anyone know where the hydraulic fluid container is? Does it use regular transmission fluid? HELP!
retired70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2023, 08:58 AM   #2

Are they hydraulic? I have an HWH system on my rig, it’s hydraulic. I was putting out a slide room couple of weeks ago and it died 1/2 way out.

The slides and leveling jacks run off the same hydraulic system. Clicking noise was from a relay mounted to the pump motor. Checked voltage to and from that switch and determined the pump motor was bad. No warning.

$400 later i put on a new motor and the system works like it was brand new.
glamisboy-MisURebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 12:03 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired70 View Post
I have a 2005 National Sea Breeze Model 8321. For some reason my leveling jacks have stopped extending. When I press the button to extend them I hear a click sound. Also the disconnect switch for the battery disconnects (it could be a short?). Could it be a bad solenoid? Could it be a fluid level in the hydraulics? Does anyone know where the hydraulic fluid container is? Does it use regular transmission fluid? HELP!
"Also the disconnect switch for the battery disconnects (it could be a short?)"
Are you trying to say your main 12V disconnect switch is not working properly?
If you do not have 12V power the jacks will not operate, will just hear a click?
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:12 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Leveling

Check your battery connections especially your ground wires. That’s always the inexpensive first step. Even if they look ok take them apart and clean them.
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:01 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Suppose You hear the click while pressing any button like extend front, extend right rear (with Powergear jacks), or similar function lever/button with HWH. In that case, You have a pretty narrow area to search-- it's an electrical problem close to the hydraulic pump. I had the same problem with HWH.
The possible root causes are:
1) Bad contact on the pump (Thick connectors only + Ground straps on the pump or connectors on it). Loosen 'em and tighten 'em. Then test, if it didn't help --> 2nd step
2) While pressing the above buttons/levers by another person, try to kick the pump motor with a hammer. If it starts working -- You need a new motor -- 30 minutes to replace with HWH and around $80 from Amazon. Even if it does not start working during kicking, and You hear a click from the pump solenoid (on the pump), and You are sure in connections (see 1) ) -- replace the motor.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
On our 2005 Dolphin the hydraulic unit for the jacks is in front of the engine on the lower right side . As stated above check for loose wiring . Also if you do not hear the motor for the jacks running check for a blown fuse . The solenoids for the jacks should have a override button you can push in with a small screw driver to bypass the control panel buttons . If the fluid was low you should get a jacks down light on the control panel . And yes regular transmission fluid is O.K. to use. Remove the four screws holding the control panel in place and check the connectors on it also .
Old 04-07-2023, 07:42 AM   #7

It was a bad relay just as you stated. I'm taking it in later this month to get it replaced. Thank You for helping.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:46 AM   #8

I did as you said "check the battery connections" but the leveling jacks still did not work. I am taking it to the shop later this month. I have however found that a relay is bad and has to be replaced.

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks