Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #1

I have a power gear system and the past two times that I have used my jacks on my coach, the pump sounded different. Not as smooth and a little bit more raspy if that makes sense. Then yesterday whe I was lowering the jacks (raising the front of the coach to level it) and it got REALLY noisy but the coach was still raising. The noise is definately coming from the pump/reservoir area. Visually looking at that, there are no leaks or wet areas. I have no leaks in the hydrauic system as I see no drips on the ground or the jack pads are not wet. After using the jacks, I put my hand on the motor and it was not hot.
The coach is less than a year old but this does not seem right. Also, If I was low on fluid, I would expect that the jacks would not raise the coach to level it.
Any suggestions on what I can look at to try to figure this out. or at least some suggestions to partially troubleshoot this before I take it in. I will be reading the manual again tonight for hints also.
Thanks
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #2

I have a power gear system and the past two times that I have used my jacks on my coach, the pump sounded different. Not as smooth and a little bit more raspy if that makes sense. Then yesterday whe I was lowering the jacks (raising the front of the coach to level it) and it got REALLY noisy but the coach was still raising. The noise is definately coming from the pump/reservoir area. Visually looking at that, there are no leaks or wet areas. I have no leaks in the hydrauic system as I see no drips on the ground or the jack pads are not wet. After using the jacks, I put my hand on the motor and it was not hot.
The coach is less than a year old but this does not seem right. Also, If I was low on fluid, I would expect that the jacks would not raise the coach to level it.
Any suggestions on what I can look at to try to figure this out. or at least some suggestions to partially troubleshoot this before I take it in. I will be reading the manual again tonight for hints also.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since NRV is no longer there for you, I would suggest calling Power Gear directly for advice. Did this when mine was new and got useful tips. ( different problem tho)

Marty
Old 02-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #4

Yea, I thought about the NRV warranty. I would still have 5 months left if they were still around.
BUT, I should still have a warranty through power gear (I hope). I also have an extended warranty. I will be visiting the power gear website or give them a call. I had a suggestion that there is a bearing in the motor that goes out once in a while. A couple others suggested that since the pump is in the front that weather/rain while driving could be a contributing issue with the motor. Another said to check the fluid.
I guess I will see what power gear has to say.
Thanks M&EM
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #5

On the last evening of our last trip (November. '07) putting the jacks down....this HORRIBLE noise. I stopped...retracted...did it again...noise again...but the jacks went down and they held for the 3 days.
Got the MH home...found the noise was definately coming from the jacks' motor.

Accessed the website...all the info was there.

I pulled the motor off (3? bolts...10mm)all looked well (windings, everything clean) There is a bearing in the metal plate, put my finger in the hole and spun it....it definately felt "scrunchy"...and I determined that is the source. Lots of rust on the plate, my wire wheel took most of it off. Then the temperature dropped to cold...and I will go about replacing the bearing maybe next week. Hopefully I'm right. If not...there ain't nothing that 400 bucks won't cure......
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #6

Well, After talking to Power gear (not real helpful) and at least getting a link to a couple of their publications regarding troubleshooting, I took it in to Performance Ford next to Fairway Ford in Placentia. They confirmed a bad pump and I am now waiting for the parts to come in from Power Gear. I am finding that warranty work is low on a manufacturers priority list. At least it appears to be approved and the parts have been shipped. Hopefully they will get to Performance early next week as we are getting ready for a weekend trip and we are hoping we have the coach by next Wednesday. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 AM   #7

Not too long after I posted (above) the weather warmed up. Yep....the motor was making a HORRIBLE sound while deploying the jacks. Make a long story...well, shorter...with a friend, I match-marked all the wiring and hydraulic lines, dumped the reserviour (of about 2 gallons of ATF), and 4 bolts later, had the entire pump out and on my workbench. I removed the upper (motor) via 2 10mm bolts and found an incredible amount of rust on the steel plate. I cleaned it up with a wire brush and found the main bearing. Turning it with a finger...really "scrunchy"...liberal spray with WD-40 made it better, but not good. How do I get this bearing out? There's no thru hole, and according to Power Gear "Tip Sheet" (available from the site) one has to pull the plate and remove the oil seal. REALLY didn't want to do that...and just then a new catalog from "Harbor Freight" arrived...and on the front page: "NEW TOOL!" Something called a "Blind Hole Bearing Puller Kit". $30. Went to the local H-F store and bought one. Worked like a charm. Pulled the bearing, cleaned up whatever was in the hole, went to an auto parts store, got a replacement ((Federal Mogul #202 FF), put it all back together and it works just fine...like it should...only the normal "whine". ALMOST 2 gallons of NAPA Dextron III...and I'm good to go.
But...how do you keep the rust out? I slapped silicone on where the parts met (there are no gaskets). That might slow it down in the future. Oh, yeah....50 bucks. Bearing and Dextron III. And about 5 hours of my labor. (and dinner for the friend and his wife)
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:18 AM   #8

Smile re:noisy powergear pump

I just read jersyjims post about fixing his pump. I bought a blind hole bearing puller, took the motor off of the pump, and can't find anything wrong! the pump was definitely noisy,but there wasn't any rust inside like you had. my question is- where was the bad bearing-in the motor or in the pump? the pump is very smooth, the only bearing & seal I see is in the motor, and looks and feels good! the top motor bearing looked dry , it's a bushing- so i lubed it, and fired the whole thing back up, and it all sounds normal! if i'm on the right track- I could have fixed the noise without removing anything but 2 small screws on to top of the motor and lubing that end bushing, and reinstalling the plate that was held down by those screws. 15 min max!! there is no provision for lubing that bearing from the manufacturer!!- a poor design! I hope this helps someone else- before you go through the expense of replacing your pump- 1600 bucks,try lubing that end bearing! at this writing, i have not re-installed the pump yet, but it runs fine on the bench! not noisy at all! BOB- '04 holiday
motorhead 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #9

noisy power gear pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjim View Post
Not too long after I posted (above) the weather warmed up. Yep....the motor was making a HORRIBLE sound while deploying the jacks. Make a long story...well, shorter...with a friend, I match-marked all the wiring and hydraulic lines, dumped the reserviour (of about 2 gallons of ATF), and 4 bolts later, had the entire pump out and on my workbench. I removed the upper (motor) via 2 10mm bolts and found an incredible amount of rust on the steel plate. I cleaned it up with a wire brush and found the main bearing. Turning it with a finger...really "scrunchy"...liberal spray with WD-40 made it better, but not good. How do I get this bearing out? There's no thru hole, and according to Power Gear "Tip Sheet" (available from the site) one has to pull the plate and remove the oil seal. REALLY didn't want to do that...and just then a new catalog from "Harbor Freight" arrived...and on the front page: "NEW TOOL!" Something called a "Blind Hole Bearing Puller Kit". $30. Went to the local H-F store and bought one. Worked like a charm. Pulled the bearing, cleaned up whatever was in the hole, went to an auto parts store, got a replacement ((Federal Mogul #202 FF), put it all back together and it works just fine...like it should...only the normal "whine". ALMOST 2 gallons of NAPA Dextron III...and I'm good to go.
But...how do you keep the rust out? I slapped silicone on where the parts met (there are no gaskets). That might slow it down in the future. Oh, yeah....50 bucks. Bearing and Dextron III. And about 5 hours of my labor. (and dinner for the friend and his wife)
hi Jim- this is Bob. check out my post below. I am curious about the difference between my pump and yours, and would like to hear what you say. Thanks, Bob
motorhead 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Thumbs up Re: noisy leveling pump

JerseyJim -

Thanks for the heads up on how to repair a noisy Power Gear leveling pump. I replaced the bearing and everything is sounding normal again.

Here's a couple of things I did differently that worked for me and reduced the cost:

I didn't need to buy a bearing puller. I removed the pump from the port plate per the instructions in Power Gear TIP Sheet #216 and then tapped the bearing out from the pump side through the shaft port. Easy.

I used an SKF 6202 2RSJEM bearing that I already had. They are commonly used as front wheel bearings on Japanese dirt bikes. Before I installed it I removed the seals from each side of the bearing, replaced the factory grease with some waterproof wheel bearing grease, and then replaced the seals. The seals pop right out gently using a small flat-blade screwdriver and push back in with your fingers.

Thanks again,
Tommy
TommyThomson is offline   Reply With Quote