Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

Limp Mode

I have a 2003 sea breeze with the 8.1 engine-Drove from Spokane to NJ, parked it for a week and went to come home the rpm would not increase and had a message that insufficient fuel to engine' Turned it off and restarted it and ran normal. Drove back to Spokane with no problems. Took a trip a month later and it happened again. Turned it off ,back on, ran normal. I know it can be a number of things wrong but want to see if anyone had this happen to them 5-6 thousand miles apart. Both times it happen the motor was off
billsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 12:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Very possible fuel filter. I haven't had those symptoms on my 8.1 but when I changed my filter I had a hard time blowing through it. My filter is on left side of MH just behind duels inside of frame rails.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many miles are on it?

Has the fuel filter ever been changed?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 PM   #4

just turned over 45,000 and filter has not been changed but will now if I can find it
Old 06-23-2019, 12:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Fletcher mentioned it's located on the driver's side behind the duals up inside the frame.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:19 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MAF and Blue Driver

I had similar issues, but several days apart on a 2week trip. Bought a blue driver odbi reader, helped isolate to problem. For me it was the maf, cleaned it and it has run great since. Also did the fuel filter just to make sure. The engine would go into a open loop, meaning the maf and the o2 sensors would send readings that were not in the ecu tables, the ecu would keep the engine running, but would ultimately throw a code and go into limp.
Glenn.Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

limp mode

Thanks for all replies--good info there--I will clean the MAF as a future prevention measure. I have obdi reader but will not show any codes since it runs great until it strikes. I am still looking for engine fuel filter. I found the ONAN filter back behind the drivers duals but cannot yet locate the engine filter. There is a metal cover that it could be in and I need to take it off and look--By the way, can a O2 Sensor be cleaned
Old 06-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
I have obdi reader but will not show any codes since it runs great until it strikes.
There is such a thing as a pending code, where an operational parameter is starting to go out of bounds but not far enough to cause a code to set. Scanning for codes and seeing some pending ones might be a clue as much as a code that is set.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:50 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
Thanks for all replies--good info there--I will clean the MAF as a future prevention measure. I have obdi reader but will not show any codes since it runs great until it strikes. I am still looking for engine fuel filter. I found the ONAN filter back behind the drivers duals but cannot yet locate the engine filter. There is a metal cover that it could be in and I need to take it off and look--By the way, can a O2 Sensor be cleaned
The blue driver will indicate if the engine is in an open loop well before the check engine light comes on, for me it was an hour or more. Open loop is when maf reading does not match up with the o2 reading in the ecu tables. The ecu is not sure what to do, so it ultimatly throws a code, for me it indicated a o2 sensor low voltage, which was due to incorrect reading from maf upsetting air fuel ratio i believe.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 PM   #10

MAF ??
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:44 PM   #11

Mass air flow