Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Living room couch area

My wife would like to do something with the couch area, and would like to solicit ideas from those of you that have made changes there, especially any with pictures of changes you have made. Our couch is on the slide, and she is thinking recliners and some sort of desk...any thoughts are appreciated...

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Thanks for starting this thread.
The "pull-out" sofa bed in our '05 Dolphin is a joke. I've thought about replacing it but haven't come up with any good ideas. My first thought was to put in a real fold-up bead/couch in its place but that's the extent of my musings. How would I get one through the door? Should I build one in place?
I'll keep a close watch on this discussion.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same here, I have a jackknife sofa and it gobbles up far too much room in the coach with the slides in. Between it and the antiquated dinette booth, I want them both out and replaced with..................

RV Furniture Seats Motorhome Sofa Bed Seatcraft RV Furniture Belmont
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #4

The link to RV furniture gives some good options. I wonder if recliners are a good idea in the slide out since most take up so much room behind them. Maybe the "wall hugger" type?
I like the look of a smaller dining table and chairs with a wall console that some Class A's come with, but I also like the storage we have under our dinette seats. Compromises!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
RV furniture

We to with out 97 Dolphin and looking at the same web site. We have 68 inches to work with if we take out the useless couch. The company has a double recliner with consol in the middle that will fit. They are wall huggers so won't be a problem with clearance. We have tryed looking at home furniture stores and can't come up with the sizes we need. Most house chairs are to high and block to much window. Also the rv furniture comes in pieces so you can get it inside. The question I have if we replace the couch, do the new chairs also have to have seat belts?
pjtaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

We have an '05 Dolphin LX and have replaced our sofa with Lazy Boy recliners and our dinette with a free standing table. We only sleep 2 but there is always a hotel or motel nearby. We also re-did the floors in vinyl front to back. Will post pics if anyone is interested.
gulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Lit

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
We have an '05 Dolphin LX and have replaced our sofa with Lazy Boy recliners and our dinette with a free standing table. We only sleep 2 but there is always a hotel or motel nearby. We also re-did the floors in vinyl front to back. Will post pics if anyone is interested.
Pictures would be nice I also have a 2005 Dolphin and I'm always looking for ideas.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Yes! Post pictures! I love pictures!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
I am interested..would aappreciate looking at them for ideas...

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
We replaced our with 2 armless recliners. We love love love them. It still looks like a couch. They are the wall hugers and we got them at American Furniture. Has to move one of the dinette benches 3 inches, but you cant tell. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_1651.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	24715   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_1657.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	24716  

Old 05-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kerrbe, are you still fallowing this? Really looks nice. Did you bolt down the recliner, or hook up the seat belts? Trying to figure out how to be comfortable and still have an extra seat-belt for the grandson..
Thanks, Don
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
My husband did drill holes in the frames and bolt them down and yes we do still have the seat beats that we can use.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

We took our couch out and replaced it with a desk and chair. Since I am at the computer most of the time - can't just watch TV - it is no problem. If we should have company we open up the lawn chairs. Nothing fancy but works for us.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
No Couch

This is our solution to an uncomfortable couch and the problem of not facing the TV. I have never been able to figure out how anybody can think looking hard left to watch TV is a natural position! I extended a section of the slide to mount the chair, and it is bolted in place. I also built the cabinets beside and behind the chair so everything can be removed and replaced with a couch by somebody in the future. It is a project well worth doing if you are full timers and prefer to sleep two!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	38416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	38417  

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg