Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 AM   #1

Looking at a 1998 Tradewinds

My brother in law is looking at a 1998 tradewinds by national rv. Is there any thing he should pay close attention to before he makes an offer. Are windshields readily available for this unit? The unit has the 3126 cat which appears to be a solid power train. Thanks
edenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
The Tradewinds and National's in general were well built motorhomes with an all steel substructure and a fiberglass roof. Check for the things you would on any RV... appliances, roof and window seals, maintenance records ect, pay close attention for water damage around the front windows, or excessive rust on the bay door area framework underneath, some Narionals have had issues in these areas, if not looked after properly. Some will also have a crack on the radius beneath a slide out, somewhat common and mostly just cosmetic in nature.Check the airbags for dry rot and cracks especially given the age. Being a split window, the bonus is you only have to replace one side if you get a crack! I have the 3126b Cat 300 hp in mine and find it plenty powerfull for the coach and it has been a good engine with lots of torque.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

1998 tradewinds

Thanks for the good guidance. I'll be checking out
the unit next week.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
1998 Tradewinds

We have a 99 Tradewinds, if you can look at the maintenance records oil changes in that engine are important as it uses engine oil to pump the diesel fuel to the high pressure that is needed for the engine to operate. If that special pump HUEI pump ingests debris it is an expensive repair. Our engine has 120K and it is the original pump. I change my oil annually as did the previous owner with no issues. Other than tires which time out instead of wear out, it is a bullet proof MH and we love ours
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:30 PM   #5

Great Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
The Tradewinds and National's in general were well built motorhomes with an all steel substructure and a fiberglass roof. Check for the things you would on any RV... appliances, roof and window seals, maintenance records ect, pay close attention for water damage around the front windows, or excessive rust on the bay door area framework underneath, some Narionals have had issues in these areas, if not looked after properly. Some will also have a crack on the radius beneath a slide out, somewhat common and mostly just cosmetic in nature.Check the airbags for dry rot and cracks especially given the age. Being a split window, the bonus is you only have to replace one side if you get a crack! I have the 3126b Cat 300 hp in mine and find it plenty powerfull for the coach and it has been a good engine with lots of torque.
I agree^.
These are really well-built motorhomes and are standing the test of time nicely. I have a 2000 Tradewinds with about 49,000 miles on it and the Cat 3126B. Engine runs excellent and paired to the Allison trans, I understand this is a very solid combination. If you check all the things above, especially water damage, donít hesitate in purchasing a National RV.
Sigfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
The Tradewinds and National's in general were well built motorhomes with an all steel substructure and a fiberglass roof.
I do not believe National used a fiberglass roof. Mine is rubber.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenns View Post
Thanks for the good guidance. I'll be checking out
the unit next week.
Be sure to ask about the windshield. Has it ever popped out. It is a manufacturer defect.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
I do not believe National used a fiberglass roof. Mine is rubber.
I am 100 percent positive mine is a filon fiberglass roof...could possiby be National started using fiberglass after 1999 ? My 2000 National tropi-cal also had a fiberglass roof.
EDIT: I went back and checked the sales brochures and it looks as though National changed around 2000 from a crowned laminated rubber roof to a crowned fiberglass roof.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
99 spec sheet says rubber crowned roof
Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #10

We passed on the tradewinds

It had a rubber roof complete with holes and leaks, both windshields had pressure cracks. The window seals were rotted and you could see significant water damage around the windshields.. too much money and too much work. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:54 AM   #11

Love ours!

We bought our 1998 Tradewinds 7370 a little over a year ago. She is as solid as they come! We had evidence of leaking near the front cap (common) a worn slide motor clutch, and migrating window seals (common). All easy fixes. The major appliances were all original and still functioning well at purchase, all though we did finally replace the a/c units this summer when an undervolt condition trashed them (my fault for not installing an EMS soon enough).

The one major fix to beware of is if yours has a Watts integrated plumbing module. These are no longer available, and require building a manifold from scratch to replace. If you run into this, I am happy to send schematics and pictures of mine.

I have ALL of the 7370 manuals, right down to the hair dryer and the microwave cookbook. Happy to share if anyone needs them, but most are at https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...2766057%212101
stormraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormraven View Post
I have ALL of the 7370 manuals, right down to the hair dryer and the microwave cookbook. Happy to share if anyone needs them, but most are at https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...2766057%212101
Fantastic trove of information. I have hard copies of about 75% of what you have saved.

I did not see anything on the step cover. Do you have anything about it?
Old 07-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I just bought a 2000 National Tradewinds. I had an issue with the washer/dryer combo this weekend but other than that I love it! Still learning everything. Newbie to the RV world.
Chinadoll13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind