RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low point drains?

I am starting to do my homework on winterizing. I have heard 2 people mention low point drains. Does anyone know where they are and how many I have on a 03 Seabreeze? Also, I plan on blowing out my water lines instead of filling them with antifreeze. I have the brass thingy to hood up the air hose. Where do I put it? In the fresh water fill port? Also, what kind of pressure is recommended?
That's all for now, but stay tuned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #2

The low point drains should be in your fresh water bay. Yes you will blow out your lines from the fresh water inlet. Be sure to bypass your hot water heater or you will have a very hard time getting all the water out. Also I use 30 psi to blow the lines

trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #3

I wasn't looking for any, but I don't remember seeing any "low Point" drains in my wet bay. There is a drain for the fresh water tank and of course the black and grey.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you open the valves on the outside shower and put the shower head on the ground it will drain most of the system. This is what National used for a low point drain on many coaches but not all.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will check the shower. The only other drain would be the usual fresh water drain. I assumed that would completly drain your fresh water. The person who told me about these low point drains said to check around your water pump. I haven't looked yet, but I will.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have yet to do this, but..........there is a sticker on the outside bay that reads "Low point water drains for winterizing inside"

Inside on the black panel over the outdoor shower fittings, it reads: Drain: Turn pump off. Open drain valve at water tank. Remove plug from water heater. Open all faucets. System will drain thru outside shower" So it seems water will drain mostly from the drain valve and a little thru shower, if the valves are opened.

The drain valve at water tank is a line and valve set a little further back in the bay.

It seems we have similar RV's, so this should be pretty good info.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
We have yet to do this, but..........there is a sticker on the outside bay that reads "Low point water drains for winterizing inside"

Inside on the black panel over the outdoor shower fittings, it reads: Drain: Turn pump off. Open drain valve at water tank. Remove plug from water heater. Open all faucets. System will drain thru outside shower" So it seems water will drain mostly from the drain valve and a little thru shower, if the valves are opened.

The drain valve at water tank is a line and valve set a little further back in the bay.

Thanks Scooter. Mine says the same thing except for the sticker on the outside. I guess I should read my RV. It's trying to talk to me.
I assume when you say drain valve you are talking about the one with the red handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0726.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	27201  
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes........red handle
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #9

I can't check mine right now. It's up against a slump block wall and I ain't in the mode to move it just to check. Besides that, I went 12 years without draining my 5er. Cold is not allowed in Phx.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I can't check mine right now. It's up against a slump block wall and I ain't in the mode to move it just to check. Besides that, I went 12 years without draining my 5er. Cold is not allowed in Phx.
Cold is allowed in Albuquerque. I blow mine out and the low point drain is the outside shower. I use 40 PSI. When blowing don't forget to open the Toilet Valve to empty it, and also the Ice Maker solenoid and line. A suside chorde works good for the Ice Maker Solenoid just hook it up and plug it in and it will open the valve, you'll blow out all the way inside the Fridge.

Don't even ask how I know about those two things.

Dick
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

Our 2005 Sea Breeze is the same ... we didn't drain the system last year as we lived in it through the winter.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
One simple reminder. Be sure that when you winterize you drain the hot water heater, in addition to closing the wh bypass valve. When we bought our mh a couple of years ago, we were pleased to learn that it had a brand new water heater, courtesy of the original owner forgetting to drain it. You can add antifreeze to it also, but it's just easier to drain it. It's got a plastic nut head screw in plug under the outside panel. I don't recall the size of the nut head on the plug, but I can check if you'd like. I keep a socket of the correct size, extension and ratchet in the plastic bin with other water supply gadgets.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am aware of the water heater drain. I may buy one of those hose attachment thingys to flush out the tank as well.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have an ice maker or filtered water at the galley sink they have filters that have to be drained or removed.

speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote