Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Main slide out on 2004 Dolphin 6355

Have a problem with the main slide out, it will not retract. I had to manually retract the slide so we could continue our trip.

After arriving at our destination I checked for power to the motor; put a meter to the lead wires and had the wife push to switch to close. Power was indicated when she pushed and held the switch to the close position; but after I
reconnected the wires, nothing happened. Is there a limit switch in this system or some switch that may be out of adjustment?

This has happened a couple of times in the past, but after pushing the switch several time the slide would move to the closed position.

Thanks in advance to all offering advice..........
morris44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know what kind of system you have (power gear etc..) but if you have power to the motor connection and the motor is not turning then I would suspect the motor is bad. Before condemning the slide out motor check the connections for dirty connection.

If you have a power gear system there are no limit switches that I know of at least on mine.

How are your house batteries, its possible to get voltage there but not enough amps to turn the motor
Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Disclaimer:I have no motor knowledge of any kind! But I was told after I check on mine for being slow that with an electric slide motor to always have the engine running while opening and closing. I do now and have not have any other issues. Knock on wood.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
Disclaimer:I have no motor knowledge of any kind! But I was told after I check on mine for being slow that with an electric slide motor to always have the engine running while opening and closing. I do now and have not have any other issues. Knock on wood.

I guess that would help if you had weak batteries. You can check the voltage at your panel if you have a DC voltage indicator? Running the engine would help if the battery is low but I'm not sure if running at idle would do it?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
The slide motors control board in ours is mounted in the front passenger basement compartment with the Freedom 458 inverter. Ours had an intermittent motor operation problem(rear Slide) at one time and I replacing the relays on the board for the problem slide motor. It solved the problem. The relays plug into relays sockets on the board and are a common type. This would be one thing to look at. Our front slide motor operation has always being slow.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
The slide motors control board in ours is mounted in the front passenger basement compartment with the Freedom 458 inverter. Ours had an intermittent motor operation problem(rear Slide) at one time and I replacing the relays on the board for the problem slide motor. It solved the problem. The relays plug into relays sockets on the board and are a common type. This would be one thing to look at. Our front slide motor operation has always being slow.

That front slide is big and it does move slow. I sometimes move it in a little at time between putting out the other two slides, just what I sometimes do.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Main slide

Thanks to all the replies. I started the engine as recommended in the one reply; the slide worked just fine going both out and in. So now we will work on cleaning connections and check batteries and possible replacing relays.
morris44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, slide, slide out