Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MicroWave oven removal

How hard is it to remove the microwave oven? The fan inside the oven is "clicking" on something when we use the oven portion of the unit and the light quit working some time ago. Thought I may attempt to fix the fan and replace the light.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Microwave Removal - Cover

This was covered in very good detail about a year ago. Try the search function. In fact, I think for the same year as your's, as that is the same age as our coach.

Good luck.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, I found the thread. I was thinking this was harder than it really is. Just going to need a second set of hands to help hold it in place or find something to place under it while I remove the screws.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
How hard is it to remove the microwave oven? The fan inside the oven is "clicking" on something when we use the oven portion of the unit and the light quit working some time ago. Thought I may attempt to fix the fan and replace the light.
Under the cupboard bottom above the microwave there will be 2 or 3 bolts securing the microwave/convection oven. Remove those and the microwave will pivot down - it is a 2 person job. Once the microwave starts to pivot you lift it out. The back of the microwave is resting on a lip. No other bolts to remove, just the top bolts. Mine only had 2 but the GE over the range microwave has 3 mounting bolt locations.

It probably isnt the fan - mine sounded like a fan too; I found the oven cavity vent door stepper motor was bad. You have to take a lot of screws out to get to it - but I didnt consider it a difficult job. Suggest you find an appliance repair shop and chances are they have a junked microwave/convection oven that you can cannibal a few parts from, thats what I did. Cost me $20. Also, if you should need a magnetron, GE will replace the part only under warranty for up to 10 years - you simply call them with the serial number of your unit and they will courier a new magnetron.

Stepper motor is the small round component in the box 1450.
https://genet.geappliances.com/IPCNe...017187.p02.pdf
Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, you figured that out. I'd a bet my right arm it was the fan. The noise goes away after a few minutes and then all works well. I may wait for complete failure and just replace the whole darn thing. It's five years old and most likely doesn't have to long to live anyway. Thanks for that detailed picture. Where did you find that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
Under the cupboard bottom above the microwave there will be 2 or 3 bolts securing the microwave/convection oven. Remove those and the microwave will pivot down - it is a 2 person job. Once the microwave starts to pivot you lift it out. The back of the microwave is resting on a lip. No other bolts to remove, just the top bolts. Mine only had 2 but the GE over the range microwave has 3 mounting bolt locations.

It probably isnt the fan - mine sounded like a fan too; I found the oven cavity vent door stepper motor was bad. You have to take a lot of screws out to get to it - but I didnt consider it a difficult job. Suggest you find an appliance repair shop and chances are they have a junked microwave/convection oven that you can cannibal a few parts from, thats what I did. Cost me $20. Also, if you should need a magnetron, GE will replace the part only under warranty for up to 10 years - you simply call them with the serial number of your unit and they will courier a new magnetron.

Stepper motor is the small round component in the box 1450.
https://genet.geappliances.com/IPCNe...017187.p02.pdf
Old 04-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Wow, you figured that out. I'd a bet my right arm it was the fan. The noise goes away after a few minutes and then all works well. I may wait for complete failure and just replace the whole darn thing. It's five years old and most likely doesn't have to long to live anyway. Thanks for that detailed picture. Where did you find that?
Look at the link for the pdf, that will take you to the website.
If the fan clicking noise goes away, then it sounds like the same problem I had, the stepper motor. Eventually, because the damper (stepper) motor is not controlling the oven temperature; the thermistor will blow due to the excessive heat buildup, it is like a fuse and will kill all power to the microwave, and you will think that it is gone forever and it is time to get a new one, but all is not lost. I paid $25 for a new thermistor and $20 for a used stepper motor and the microwave/convection oven is as good as new. btw, the same motor is used in other microwaves for the turntable. Stepper motor sits above a little metal door which controls air flow into the oven cavity, it also controls the exhaust door thru linkage. You can order the whole stepper motor damper assembly from GE for about $40. The thermistor is mounted near the exhaust door, so if you lose all power, replace the thermistor too. These over the range convection microwaves are expensive - way better to fix it IMO. When you take it apart you should find a schematic attached to the inside of the cover.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Rick, I would agree, wait for a complete failure and replace. We took a power surge last fall and our Micro was "killed". The current units are more powerful, three speed exhaust fan and two interior racks, plus the interior light can be replaced without removing the unit.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took the $42.00 dollar gamble this morning and bought the Damper door assy. When I get it, I'll drop the oven and replace the part. Still better than shelling out $400-$500 for new. I'd rather have a flat screen TV.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Rick, not sure how yours is installed, mine didn't have the damper door installed, fan is ducted straight out to the vent.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used the oven yesterday. The clicking noise is in sync with the fan blade. When I first started the oven the clicking noise was there. I quickly opened the over door and watch the fan slow down as did the clicking noise. Now I am wondering if I wasted $40 bucks.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
We used the oven yesterday. The clicking noise is in sync with the fan blade. When I first started the oven the clicking noise was there. I quickly opened the over door and watch the fan slow down as did the clicking noise. Now I am wondering if I wasted $40 bucks.
- in your case it might actually be the fan, mine sounded like a fan with a bearing gone bad - I checked all the fans when I had it apart and it was only when I powered up the unit with the case off that I could pinpoint the noise to the damper motor, worst case you will have a spare stepper motor ready to go when that fails.
- the damper door is not at the exhaust fan, there is no door there. The damper door is at the inlet to the oven and there is an exhaust door on the other side of the oven; both controlled by the one stepper motor.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was able to cancel the order for the part this morning. Yeah. Tonight I drop the oven from the cabinet. I suspect a wire, when cold, touches the fan. As the over warms, the wire moves away. Just a theory. I let you all know when I find out.
Cheers
Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have those mirrors on the back and side walls, you will probably break the side mirror as they put the mirrors in after the micro was hung, not enough space to clear the mirrors.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
If you have those mirrors on the back and side walls, you will probably break the side mirror as they put the mirrors in after the micro was hung, not enough space to clear the mirrors.
Man o man do I like this board. I never thought of that. I'll remove the mirrors first. They seem to be stuck on with double sticky tape. Good call on that, thank you.