Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
My saggy bottom

I've got a problem with the TV cabinet over the dash on the Dolphin. The bottom skin appears to be sagging, mostly along the front edge where it contacts the windshield. When I pulled out the TV and the insulation to investigate, I can see the front edge has dropped almost 6" down. I attached a photo looking into the TV cabinet. You can actually see out through the windshield looking from inside the cabinet. Note the big arc of the front edge of the bottom skin.

The motorized visor for the windshield is attached to that skin with maybe 6 screws. The two ends of the visor assembly rest on plastic trim pieces at the sides of the windshield. These trim pieces have been pushed down about an 1" as well, tearing the plastic where they screw to the window frame. The visor appears not to be bent and works perfectly. I suspect it is actually carrying much of the weight of that sagging bottom skin. I've put photos of both sides where the visor rests on the plastic trim pieces. They have torn out where the screws attached to the window frame.

I can't seem to find any attachments from the bottom skin into the supporting cabinet or metal cabinet support. Looks like the motorized shade is used to hold up the bottom skin.

Has anyone out there had this happen? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks for any help.
Karl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sagging bottom.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	323571   Click image for larger version

Name:	visor left support 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	323572  

Name:	visor right support 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	323573  
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

Looks to be a different arrangement on your 2007 vs my 2004. Must have changed when they went to the flat windshield in 2006 or thereabouts.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Mine was loose but didn't really sage. I attached 1" wide aluminum or steel bars which I added in 3 spots from behind, anchoring them to the back side of the cabinets. Photo 2 shows 2 of them. It doesn't move now and maybe even quieter now. This was easy for me as access this area behind the TV which I had moved to another location and then I made this space into another cupboard. The insulation I added as well as there was none in this area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20210404_095712_vHDR_Auto_resize.jpg
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	323766   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20210404_101204_vHDR_Auto_resize.jpg
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	323767  

Name:	P_20210404_101313_vHDR_Auto_resize.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	323768   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20210404_101357_vHDR_Auto_resize.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	323769  

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the post. It's hard to see exactly how you made your attachments. I still have a plywood tray where the old CRT TV sat. I think I'll need to pull that out to get access.

Looks like you attached the support bars to wood cabinet frame at one end. What did you attach to at the windshield end?

Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 04-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Two support bars are on each side of the TV opening and pull up on the upper plastic panel, I used self tapping screws thru the plastic panel's horizontal lip that is close to the window and into each bar.
After attaching the bars to the windshield edge of the plastic panel first, I then pulled the bars & panel up to the original position then screwed the bars to an anchor point high up on the back side of the cabinets. The middle bar where the center of the TV was isn't as important but does pull and lift the center point of the panel up to some degree. I also had missing screws in the power sun shade assembly replaced them as I think it helps keep the plastic panel straight. Again photo 2 shows the middle bar pulling the plastic panel that moved it up and the bar at the edge of the TV opening pulling the panel up and holding it there after anchoring it to the cabinet.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the metal brackets are attached to the TV cabinet at one end and that the plastic bottom cover is screwed up into those brackets near the windshield.

What I don't quite understand is if the other end of those metal brackets (the windshield end) is attached to something on the front fiberglass cap. Or did you attach them at a couple points on the TV cabinet and cantilever them out towards the windshield?

thanks,
Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 04-05-2021, 11:08 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Hi Karl, There is nothing attached to the fiberglass cap above the windshield, when the plastic panel was pulled up it comes close the the fiberglass cap and a floppy rubber filler or spacer strip fills any the small gap still there. Please note that rubber spacer just sits there, partly pushed into the gap as best as possible from above and isn't attached to the front cap or top panel. It partly rests on the top windshield rubber weather strip. The 3rd. photo view looking up shows the rubber spacer sticking out a bit and the 3 screws going into the 3 1" bars. It looks a bit deceiving with the glass reflection showing a double image of the screws but with the glass of the windshield next to them. In your pictures it looks like your windshield side pillar plastic covers could be raised or pushed up a bit more(especially drivers side) to support the ends of the power sun shade assembly or is the sun shade assembly not screwed in place ? Or maybe the top panel on the drivers side is too high, not sure, but it doesn't seem to be lined up as it should.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20210404_093426_vHDR_Auto_resize.jpg
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	323989   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20210404_093451_vHDR_Auto_resize.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	323990  

Name:	P_20210404_095651_vHDR_Auto_resize.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	323991  
Old 04-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Greg,

Looks like I'm missing the rubber gasketing that goes between the plastic bottom piece and the windshield. Maybe that contributed to the bottom piece sagging. Both my side covers are pushed down at least an inch, judging by the torn out screw holes. The motorized shade looks rotated out of position, compared to your photo.

Looks like I got a project ahead to first pull out the motorized shade, then lift the bottom plastic, then re-install the shade. Thanks for all the help.

Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 05-31-2021, 06:14 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
A fix for my saggy bottom

Hello all,

Just a progress follow-up on my cabinet skin sag.

Lots of disassembly happened first .... LCD TV, plywood box that held old CRT TV, power visor, windshield trim and lots of wiring. I bolted a couple steel bars to the steel frame that supports the front cabinets (see picture). Then bolted a 4' long steel angle through the cabinet skin and into my steel straps. By tightening up the bolts slowly, I was able to pull up the cabinet skin to it's correct location. The steel angle spread that load so it pulled up evenly.

Re-routed some wiring, re-insulated the front cap, re-installed the visor and windshield trim pieces. I built a fully enclosed cabinet box that hides behind the TV. It's much better now!

Thanks to Greg for his help and suggestions, and thanks to all forum contributors for their ideas.

Karl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cantelever.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	330333   Click image for larger version

Name:	insulation.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	330334  

2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 05-31-2021, 11:23 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Your repair looks excellent Karlos, thanks for the follow up and photos. Have a great summer.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:32 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Karl - what type of insulation is that, and where did you purchase? I need to add insulation to my front cap as well before we leave for our summer trip in July.

Al
Old 06-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Al,

The insulation used was purchased at Home Depot. It was a roll 3' wide by maybe 20' long. It has a foil layer on each side and a bubble wrap type of core. Not sure what the R-value is. I sprayed an aerosol adhesive on both the foil and the front cap and pressed it in place. Then stuffed the void behind it and the cabinet with fiberglass batts.

Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Old 06-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Hi Al,

The insulation used was purchased at Home Depot. It was a roll 3' wide by maybe 20' long. It has a foil layer on each side and a bubble wrap type of core. Not sure what the R-value is. I sprayed an aerosol adhesive on both the foil and the front cap and pressed it in place. Then stuffed the void behind it and the cabinet with fiberglass batts.

Karl
Awesome! Thanks, I'll go buy a roll when I get back home. I have zero insulation up front and want to put some in there, but the regular fiberglass just looked to be a mess trying to work around the wiring.

Al