Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #15

Is there any easy way to get the sound to come out of the speaker that the in-dash radio goes to?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Is there any easy way to get the sound to come out of the speaker that the in-dash radio goes to?
Dunner, from what I understand, National did not connect the TV to this switch. Mine is not. You can get surround sound of of the TV when using cable or antenna by switching the DVD player to "VCR/TV" and then going into the RV audio menu and changing the speaker output. It took me several years to figure this out. My coach came with the RCA TV and RCA surround sound system.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #17

I'm strictly antenna with an RCA over the air converter connected to the input of the Winegard switch box. There is not DVD/VCR. Only an RCA DVD player. I don't know if I have surround sound. There is a speaker over each cockpit seat, one in the center of the right cabinets above the couch and one at the back left end of the galley.

Right now I'm not hooked up to shore and didn't want to start the genny for a short period of time to fire up the DVD player, TV and converter. Does it sound like I have Surround Sound?

I might try the options you found to work tomorrow morning.

Sorry for the thread theft. It may be helpful to others.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #18

How would I wire it if the DVD player doesn't have an Input? Haven't looked so I don't know if it does or not. Draw me an MSPaint pic and PM it to me. Don't want the highjack this thread anymore unless somebody else is interested in how to get Surround Sound out of their radio speakers.

Where does the sound come from that would go to the radio speakers? That would help me figure this out.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dunner it sounds like you have surround capabilities. Surround does not come out of the radio speakes. It will come out of the surround sound speakers. I sent you a PM but I think I lost it so I will rewrite it. My system has a VCR separate from the DVD but I never use it.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I finally have most of the pieces back together (photos to come) and I decided to check out the hardwired video distribution center. When I did, I found a satelite locator box also wired into the VDC power connection. Out comes the multimeter and to my surprise there is 12v going into the VDC, striaght from the house batteries - which explains the phantom circuit: it wasn't 120v at all and explains why hitting the battery disconnect was the only way to kill the power.

So now you know the rest of the story.

JJ
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #21

Thank you for all of the responses and no issue with this tread going in different directions I appreciate all the input. I have not solved anything but I now have local antenna TV. I just got back to town. My iPhone does not work well as a computer and I no longer have a card for my lap top. Maybe some day after I stop spending money on the RV and the many things I want for it.

Update: I ended up taking my converter box to a local TV repair, he asked if I had the original remote as he was only able to get two or three channels “bingo part of my problem” because I have a universal remote for the box. Next issue was finding a new converter box with remote. None at Wal-Mart, none a Radio Shack one at Target for $59.99! Bought it.

So Thursday I go to Apalachee RV in Auburn, GA on my way to the agility trials. They did the initial inspection and removed an awful front end squeak that almost stopped me from buying this unit. The squeak was back and I need them to show me where it was and how to stop it along with having them check out the antenna, which was fine. They were able to add an extension for the antenna coax cable but their tech still did not get a signal to the TV. Well a bank loan later (just kidding but it was $187 for those two things to them and $59.99 to Target) my TV was still not working.

I have no idea what I did but I turned all of the different components pictured below off and then turned all of them on, did a channel scan and received quite a few stations. Many still require an antenna rotations but I do have a TV. I will be redoing the set up as the converter is on the 2nd shelf so I can have the cabinet closed and still use the remote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV entertainment cabinet..JPG
Views:	230
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	13776  
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #22

Quote:
I see you found my post suggesting using the radio Aux inputs (and PM back to you.).
If your Dolphin/Sea Breeze is a LX model, you should have surround sound, otherwise likely not. The ceiling speakers are for the radio/player only in non-LX models.
Also, "surround" sound requires special amp processing to separate the channels (L-R-Center-Rear). The TV or amp unit has to provide outputs for each. The Altec-Lansing surround system I installed has 5 jacks for 5 speakers plus the sub-woofer. My TV sends a Dolby encoded signal to the Altec amp via the audio out RCA jacks.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #23

The way I wired my TV antenna was from the Antenna to my RCA Converter Antenna In, from the To TV jack on my converter to my Winegard Antenna in, from the Winegard To TV,to the TV Antenna In. My RCA universal remote also controls my RCA converter box. You will need to have the converter scan for the channels and set the TV to the output of the Winegard or Converter. I forget which, but it is 3 or 4.

two2go, my friend has a `04 Sea Breeze LX and it does not have Surround Sound. Just the overhead radio speakers like mine. He couldn't remember what his Input buttons looked like but he does have a CD changer. I suspect he has the same radio I have with the CDC button on the input switch. As I told you I have the 8 pin DIN connector instead of the RCA pigtails, which I suspect is for a CDC input.

Anybody know if there is a standard for a DIN connector or what the pin-out for the Audiovox VR180 DIN connector is.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #24

Here's what's on the back of my Audiovox VR180.
Wikipedia shows a bunch of Din plugs, but none match this.

The crux of it is that if I have FM playing and press TP, CD or CDC,
nothing happens. It stays on FM. This make me believe that the
Tape or CD has to have media inserted or the CDC has to be plugged
into the radio and have media inserted.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #25

Well, I found a cable that plugs into the back of my Audiovox VR180 radio, but one with an iPod connector on the other end. The iPod will not play on any of the radio inputs.

If I put a Tape or CD in, it will play those when the input selector is pushed for each, but nothing happens when the CDC button is pushed. The iPod pops up with a message that says this device cannot charge the iPod.

The back of the my stock 27" RCA tube type TV has an S-Video In connector and a bunch of Red, White, Black, Yellow, Blue and Green RCA plugs on it.

Does anybody know the pin-out for the 8 pin connector on the back of the radio or what pins from the CD Changer 8 pin connector supply the sound and the control functions to the radio?

Is that enough paragraphs?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #26

Found it. Very nice tech at ASA(Audiovox) emailed it to me. Took him awhile to find it and he wasn't gonna give up till he did.

Haven't tried it yet. We agreed I may have to put a resistor across some pins if the radio doesn't recognize the TV RCA outputs as a valid input and let me select CDC.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #27

Ended up using a cassette adapter and now have sound coming out of 6 speakers.

Thx for the help.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Ended up using a cassette adapter and now have sound coming out of 6 speakers.

Thx for the help.
I’m so glad you got this worked out. I’m going to try all my components this weekend to see what does and does not come through all the speakers. You have peaked my curiosity.

My dumb questions……..Did you go by the above diagram? Did the adapter fit into the diagram or installed somewhere else?
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, national, wiring